Ukraine (European) Giant Legless Lizard pictures

Love to Foxtrot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
These are some pictures of my Boris. He is a large and docile example of this species. He never has tried to bite, but I am wary of handling him too often because he is approx. 2/3 tail, and when they become scared they supposedly drop their tail very easily! I really enjoy keeping this lizard. He molted just after I took the pictures, and he looks even more handsome now as he has taken on a more shiny, green-ish tint. I am holding him in the pictures.

Aubrey

Attachments

Love to Foxtrot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmmm...that was not supposed to be so tiny. Oh well, at least the first picture shows him nicely.

Aubrey

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The petshop here had one of those not too long ago. I almost considered it, but there was something I couldnt accomodate.

Im naming my tortoise Boris.

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice specimen. Also just so ya know the tails aren't supposed to come off on the Euro ones per an article done by Langerwerf a while back. He knows his stuff really well and I would fully trusy him on it. According to him they can even be lifted by the tail but I doubt I would personally push it that far.

Regardless I don't feel you have to worry as they wont drop it in a blink of an eye like the American ones do.

Phil

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Either way, they grow it back........

Do lizards take any long lasting damage from losing tails:?

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I picked up one of these guys myself just tonight. Odd that you should post. :)

They've kind of been on the back burner of my want list for quite some time, and I just happened to see one in a local store - that they had -just- gotten in. :)

There is generally no long term problems to losing their tail. It usually heals up quickly and then grows back slowly - but with any open wound there is always the chance of infection setting in. Also, a tail that has grown back never quite regains the original body coloration, so you can always tell it was broken off at some point.

Rav

Love to Foxtrot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Phillip: Thank you for telling me! While I would never attempt to pick him up by the tail, I can now handle him more often without such a fear of him becoming very, very short.

Ravnos:Very nice lizard. While it is true that the loss of a tail is not usually life-threatening, I feel that it is entirely too much tissue too lose without some kind of effect to their health. It has to be stressful for them, and I think that it would probably take quite a long time for either of our lizards to regrow their tails, considering their sizes and probable age. Were they able to tell you an approximate age for yours? The person who I purchased mine from had no idea of age, so I am just curious.

Aubrey

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nope, all the ones the store got in were wild caught imports so there is no real way to tell. They do grow pretty fast, and live a long time (50 years has been recorded!), and if the animal has no scarring or previous tail loss, the chances are it is fairly young.

Rav