Finally...our Classroom Invert Zoo!

Raventears

GHS Invert Zoo Curator, Biomed Teacher
Arachnosupporter +
{DI hope this is the right place to post this, but our classroom invert zoo website is FINALLY up and running! I am working on putting up the pics the kiddos took of our current livestock, so bare with me, but it should be up and viewable now. :eek:) Please sign our guest book, become a member, and help spread the work that inverts are being studied and cared for (loved by most of our students) down in Canutillo, Texas! Thank you for the time and continued suport of our Entomology program!
Keeley Leigh Muncrief
Horticulture/Entomology teacher/FFA Advisor, CHS

website is: http://ourinvertzoo.webs.com/
Thanks again for your visit to our zoo...in advance!:D

endoflove

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hey thats great LOL! i wanna see pics and my little rosie agian :) take good care of her!

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Good for you! Sharing creatures with the youngsters always reminds me of the excitement I had when I first got into the hobby.

kimji

Arachnopeon
Great initiative! Many youngsters just see spiders as scary creatures that need to be killed, its good to make them understand the wonders of nature :clap:
I visit my children's school also to teach them about arachnids and scorpions. Keep up the good work!

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Very cool! I applaud your efforts to teach children that invertebrates are fascinating rather than "icky." Way to go! Keep up the good work.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
nice! saw on your website you had a wolf, and were wondering the ID? if you haven't figured it out already, it's most likely a Hogna carolinensis. they are amazing, the kids will prob love that one! very cool. wish my teachers would have done this...

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You have an OBT in a high school classroom? :eek:
I went to an unusually tasteful HS and I wouldn't trust my peers around one of those... good luck/congratulations.

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The site looks great! I love the combined benefit of this. Apart from having great teaching aids and educating the kids, you're educating the public and giving the kids the tools to do so as well. Even the website is an ongoing project itself. Very very cool. Nice job!

Knight in Gale

kylestl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is that a phoneutria on the home page? I would watch having that in classroom if it is.

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
nice! saw on your website you had a wolf, and were wondering the ID? if you haven't figured it out already, it's most likely a Hogna carolinensis. they are amazing, the kids will prob love that one! very cool. wish my teachers would have done this...
as widowman10 stated over a year ago :eek:, Carolina wolf indeed

atraxrobustus

Arachnoknight
{DI hope this is the right place to post this, but our classroom invert zoo website is FINALLY up and running! I am working on putting up the pics the kiddos took of our current livestock, so bare with me, but it should be up and viewable now. :eek:) Please sign our guest book, become a member, and help spread the work that inverts are being studied and cared for (loved by most of our students) down in Canutillo, Texas! Thank you for the time and continued suport of our Entomology program!
Keeley Leigh Muncrief
Horticulture/Entomology teacher/FFA Advisor, CHS

website is: http://ourinvertzoo.webs.com/
Thanks again for your visit to our zoo...in advance!:D
says your site is "frozen", and to have the owner contact the hosting service.

Raventears

Arachnosupporter +
Hiya! I know my original post is very old, but I am reviving our invert zoo at my new high school, not too far from where I was teaching, but I switched to o working in NM rather than TX. I will try to reply, albeit forever old, to the past posts, my apologies for not keeping up the website. New website coming soon... I promise!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
@Raventears Since you are in a school you could easily add another aspect to your endeavor by keeping an ongoing log of events. Not only teach about inverts and animal husbandry but also delve into scientific methodology in keeping them healthy under controlled circumstances. Theory -> tests -> Hypothesis. Mortality rate, optimal growth, optimal habitat, invasive organisms etc etc.

Raventears

Arachnosupporter +
@Raventears Since you are in a school you could easily add another aspect to your endeavor by keeping an ongoing log of events. Not only teach about inverts and animal husbandry but also delve into scientific methodology in keeping them healthy under controlled circumstances. Theory -> tests -> Hypothesis. Mortality rate, optimal growth, optimal habitat, invasive organisms etc etc.
I do keep an activity log of sorts, feeding, cleaning, breeding, etc... I will definitely look into delving further into the numbers and data collection\entry related skills, I hadn't thought of that angle. Great idea, thanks!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I do keep an activity log off sorts, feeding, cleaning, breeding, etc... I will definitely look into delving further into the numbers and data collection\entry related skills. Great idea, thanks!
Consider contacting a university bio-science department that works with animal husbandry and getting a run down on the methodologies used. Or just about any vet can give you a run down on their journey though veterenary school. The sciences and methods involved. You can really open up a much larger world for your students.