brand dog food to feed to roaches

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Any. Though some brands seem more likely to get grain mites than others, and the brand Beneful seems to be a recommended one by several roach keepers. I personally quit using dog food to feed roaches a long time ago and stick to fish food and veggies. Works great and less grain mite issues.

gh0001356

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Uh-oh, prepare to done the fireproof undies. Seriously, there was a nice thread concerning this very topic in this very forum not too long ago.

Anyway, I have been using the prefab "roach buffet" from one of the online dealers. I am tempted to try the Purina Game Fish Chow. It comes in a 50lb bag for $20.00 and has 36% protein plus the other goodies that do a fish's body good. Roaches don't have scales but they do have shells so the fish formula might work out pretty well versus dog food. The only thing stopping me is that I don't have the means to store a 50lb bag of GFC.

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That is the fish food I use and it works very well. To store it I found at a container store something that is shaped like a trash can with a hinged lid that even has a gasket around it to keep it air tight. It was made to store dog food, so knowing that you could probably find something similar....