can of scorpions

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Because of a previous thread, I got curious and ordered a can of scorpions. Kind of looks like H. loaticus or H. petersii, don't know. Tastes really good:liar: . A little like mushrooms and shrimp but... bad, to me anyway. Not much in the can. I don't know if they are cooked, dehydrated or what... I get the feeling the contents is meant to be crushed up and added to other food:confused: .

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
as i understand you were curious i couldnt justify buying these and supporting who ever makes money off it. Its just unnecessary in all means

Aillith

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If in some parts of the world it's considered food, I don't see a problem with it.

We in the Western world eat cows, whereas in other parts they see cows as sacred.

So It's not unnecessary, it's a food product - however weird it may seem to us on this side of the world.

I'd never have the stomach to try eating that though. :s I'll stick to chicken and beef thanks :)

H. cyaneus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Jungle, people are going to eat them, even if they don't sell them online. Eating scorpions and tarantulas is almost a culture itself.

Todd, they look pretty crunchy. ;)

Mike

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
as i understand you were curious i couldnt justify buying these and supporting who ever makes money off it. Its just unnecessary in all means
I mentioned that in the thread it was brought up in. I think what I'm showing here will satisfy anybody else's curiosity on top of disqualifying it as a food source. I mean, even if they did taste good and they knew how to raise them for food, which I'm pretty sure is not the case, it's pretty much a rip off. But a lot of it has to do with culture too.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
All of y'all beat my last post. Yeah, it was crunchy. Pretty nasty to me but, I could see how some might like it. Man we are all so biased aren't we... I really almost gagged on some of it trying to eat it. But like mentioned before, if I was brought up eating my scorps instead of my vegtables, I might have liked it. The hardest part was the chela tips, which makes sense of course. Really strong material they have there!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Haha, yea. It was a thread of yours that got me curious. Maybe where they are popular, they only use them to flavor food or as a placebo for something:? . Or maybe just to rip foreigners off:eek: .

Aillith

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wait - thats the contents of the can BEFORE you'd eaten any?
I thought it was after you'd had a meal of it.

Wow, what a con XD

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No, that's before I ate any. I took that pic RIGHT after I opened it. The little box the can was in came with a purdy little string around it... the american way. Sharper Image scorps.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've had chocolate covered crickets, meal worms, and grubs before but I haven't tried scorps yet! Did they have a kind of bitter aftertaste? The stuff I've eaten did.

People here just have an attachment to these animals. It's the same as in the T thread about the culture frying them up and selling them in bags. It's not wrong, just different.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
About the flavor, I've got a recipe called Scorpion Scallopine. PM me if you want a copy to try it out (it calls for H. arizonis, or however that's spelled).

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
mushrooms and shrimp

hmmm i was wondering how those were going to taste when u said u ordered them... i hate mushrooms so i dought i would like them... they just look unapealing to me.. but whatever floats ur boat!

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My problem with it is, just how many canned scorpions are wild caught?
probably all of them, just like the ones that the native people catch and eat
i keep telling people that the rainforest bugs that are WC for the pet trade are nothing to the ones that are WC and eaten by the indigenous peoples lol

loyaluntodeath

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wow...that musta been realy crunchy....i kinda wana try some just to see what my scorps would taste like. lol. =P