difference between emps and spinifer

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What's the noticeable difference between spinifer and emps?

Last edited:

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ive noticed that emperors claws are rough and rounded off as the spinifers are smooth and more slender.

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wahaha thats a better way to explain it! thanks ... sux my english is going down man! whahah
thaniks RaZeDaHeLL666

woodson

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
1. the claw of the emps is bigger and the shape is rounder than the spinifer;
2. the surface of the emps' claw is rough, and the surface of the spinifer is smooth; and, there are many hair on emp's claw while spinifer not.
3. the telson's color is definitely different, spinifer is black and emps is red (white when it is baby);

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
3. the telson's color is definitely different, spinifer is black and emps is red (white when it is baby);
Not a good way to identify a spinifer! My particular specimen has a red telson. I've seen them with black, brown and red!

Generally, Swammerdami aside Hetrometrus tend to be slightly smaller and far more aggresive than your typical Emperor. The pedipalps are longer and are either smooth, or have very slight granulation. Emperor 'palps tend to be roughly heart shaped and are densly covered with bumps.

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pandinus imperator

Heterometrus species (possibly spinifer)

Note the shape of the pedipalp and the amount of granulation.

woodson

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Richard_uk said:
Not a good way to identify a spinifer! My particular specimen has a red telson. I've seen them with black, brown and red!

Generally, Swammerdami aside Hetrometrus tend to be slightly smaller and far more aggresive than your typical Emperor. The pedipalps are longer and are either smooth, or have very slight granulation. Emperor 'palps tend to be roughly heart shaped and are densly covered with bumps.
Look, the title is the difference between emps and spinifer, not Swammerdami or Longimanus.
In fact Heterometrus longimanus, Heterometrus swammerdami and Heterometrus spinifer are totally different sp.
;)

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi
in most stores, all heterometrus are grouped into either H.spinifer or H.longimanus, there are no 100% perfect identifications, so just stating how to distinguish between two species may lead to some confusion when for example their spinifer is actually a laoticus
thats one of the reasons why Rich gave a general identification i believe :)

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Also,

Note on the above photographs of the chelae that the ridges (chelal keels/carinae) of the imperator are composed of granulations while those of the "Het" are merely raised, without granular components.

Eggy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanx for the help guys and girls, i had some thought that this might be a Heterometrus but i was not sure.