Sexing roaches

danfekar

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I recently bought some roaches (most probably B. discoidalis)

I'm wondering if there is an easy way to sex them? I've heard something about the females' butts being more rounded, compared to the males' more elongated. Also that the number of segments on the ventral side of the male abdomen is larger than with the females?

I've attached two pictures of individuals which I suspect is different sex. Have I got it right? Left sides male, and right sides female?

Regards
Dan J

Last edited:

danfekar

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I guess this is the way to sex them, but it would be neat if someone could confirm :rolleyes:

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
As far as I know you're correct also. :) If you look at the two, it kinda makes sense. :)

Wolvie56X

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you are correct and also, when male roaches(not entirely 100% sure with this species) reach maturity, they develope wings, then again male hisser grow horns, so it might be differet with every species

im sure someone will clear this up for ya

scavenger

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have been breeding B. discoidalis for many generations an you are Correct... Though you have nymphs pictured, adults both become winged but females tend to get their wings chewed up during breeding... it never seems to bug them though. and some females live up to two years.

pronty

Haunting Spider
Old Timer
ok I took some better sexing pics of my roaches :)

In the first pic the female is on the left, male on the right.
The next pics are female, male, female, male :p

worldsparadox

Arachnopeon
nice pics

so how did you get the roaches to just float in the air next to each other while you shot a photo of them? :}
Thanks for the thread, it really helped me, i just got a few discoids from a friend and i was interested in how to sex them for the future!

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
These are great photo examples of a male and female, and this formation is true with most roach species with slight variations....

ZephAmp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You are correct. :)
The species pictured appears to be Blaberus fusca, Blaberus "craniifer" "brown wing" (if you're in Europe) or Blaberus sp. hybrids. Adult pics would help. :)

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You are correct. :)
The species pictured appears to be Blaberus fusca, Blaberus "craniifer" "brown wing" (if you're in Europe) or Blaberus sp. hybrids. Adult pics would help. :)
How did you arrive at that conclusion?