pandinus cavimanus fighting

dcon25

Arachnopeon
help. i want to setup a pair P.cavimanus for possible future breeding. i've read that the caresheets for P.cavimanus are the same for P.imperators so which means their both communal???:confused: i bought 1 male and 1 female 5instar P.cavimanus but i cant get them to pair up. They immediately pinch and reluctantly try to sting each other once they get close then i stop them by immediately placing a glass divider between them. now they are in separate enclosures. is there a way for them to pair up? am i missing a step here?:eek:

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, they have to be mature adults to mate, I don't think the sexually mature at subadult either. So at 5th instar its going to take a bit of time.

reganngo

Arachnopeon
may i ??

yeah me too what a coincidence that there is a same topic that i want to post so if you will allow me can i post my thread here too............ here it goes.............. i bought 1 male and 1 female heterometrus longimanus but its really hard to pair them up when they see each other they also starting to pinch and sting each other so i stopped them by placing a spoon between them and i placed them in a separate container..help us guys what should we do to pair them up:(

so sorry for the bad english

jeroenkooijman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Communal scorpions don't always get along with each other. Communal isn't even a good word when it comes to scorpions, I like to say tolerant.
Even some emperors attack each other at first sight.

Cavimanus can get along with each other but this is only the case when they have been fed well, have enough space, enough hides and tolerate each other.
Also a caresheet for P. cavimanus is different from P. imperator.

The same counts for Heterometrus sp. Some might have complete groups of them living together without much trouble. Others can't be put together because fighting breaks out immediatly.

Can the both of you describe the enclosures etc. this might help a bit.

reganngo

Arachnopeon
my enclosure for my 2 H.Longimanus is a 15 gallon aquarium with 6 inches of soil and plenty of hides i think its 4-5 hides and a large water dish so i dont really think there is a problem of my enclosure(in my opinion ) maybe my female is a "manhater" hehehhehe.....should i wait a few weeeks until i try to pair them up again and their telson is blackish red so i think they already are adults and they measure about 5-6 inches from claw to tail

dcon25

Arachnopeon
my enclosure is only a 1 feet cube with lots of rocks and caves and a 3 inch cocopeat substrate:mad: i have had success with Heterometrus sp. in much smaller enclosures. its my first time with Pandinus sp.. right now im filling up their bellies and will give it another try:? both are introduced to the enclosure simultaneously

jeroenkooijman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my enclosure is only a 1 feet cube with lots of rocks and caves and a 3 inch cocopeat substrate:mad: i have had success with Heterometrus sp. in much smaller enclosures. its my first time with Pandinus sp.. right now im filling up their bellies and will give it another try:? both are introduced to the enclosure simultaneously
Pandinus cavimanus are way less tolerant to each other then most Heterometrus sp. and for instance P. imperator.
You can try to fill them up, but my guess is that they will start fighting again.
If possible get a bigger enclosure for them.

my enclosure for my 2 H.Longimanus is a 15 gallon aquarium with 6 inches of soil and plenty of hides i think its 4-5 hides and a large water dish so i dont really think there is a problem of my enclosure(in my opinion ) maybe my female is a "manhater" hehehhehe.....should i wait a few weeeks until i try to pair them up again and their telson is blackish red so i think they already are adults and they measure about 5-6 inches from claw to tail
Sounds alright to me, just wait a few weeks. Feed them enough and try again.

dcon25

Arachnopeon
You can try to fill them up, but my guess is that they will start fighting again.
right on the mark:eek: i guess ill have to separate them for now while their limbs are complete. ill have to get a larger enclosure. My goal is not actually to breed them but just to have a communal P. cavimarus enclosure.:evil:

jeroenkooijman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It is possible to keep them communal, I have had 5 communal groups of up to 4 P. cavimanus in one enclosure. At the moment I have 2x 1.1.0 communal.

Tank size which I use is 40x50x40 cm (lxwxh).

reganngo

Arachnopeon
AM #6
dcon25
Arachnopeon

Posts: 3 my enclosure is only a 1 feet cube with lots of rocks and caves and a 3 inch cocopeat substrate i have had success with Heterometrus sp. in much smaller enclosures. its my first time with Pandinus sp.. right now im filling up their bellies and will give it another try both are introduced to the enclosure simultaneously

how small is this enclosure of your heterometrus spp. ?

dcon25

Arachnopeon
how small is this enclosure of your heterometrus spp. ?
i have 2 H. longimanus in a small Kritter keeper about 4x3x5 if im not mistaken, 1 is 7i and the other is 4i. Another which i had is my 4 H. longimanus 2 adults/2 sub-adults in a 10 gal with only an inch of coco peat and a drift wood(my begginer tank:8o ). i know Heterometrus sp. easily goes communal than other genus. Maybe one of you're Heterometrus is too aggresive or one is miss identified.

reganngo

Arachnopeon
maybe my female is just too agressive........should i rearrange my enclosure and put them together at the same time?

i was thinking if i didi not sucsseed in breeding them ill just buy 3 3rd instars H.Longimanus and separate them by a divider so i can have 5 total of scorps hihihi:D

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That would be the next logical step yes, should eliminate any territorial issues.

dcon25

Arachnopeon
By the way... both my cavimanus have black telsons... does this mean they are both adults and ready for mating? i was told they were 5i but the seller was not 100% sure.

dcon25

Arachnopeon
update on my Pandinus cavimanus...

i placed both my P. cavimanus in a 15gal aquarium with a glass divider. 75% space for the female and 15% space for the male. i placed a flat rock 4in x 5in in front of the females burrow. My plan is to generously feed them and then remove the divider after 2 weeks.

Any comments and suggestions will be appreciated

one more problem....
Im still not sure if my P.cavimanus are ready for mating:eek: . i read in another thread here that one sure way to determine if a Pandinum imperator is an adult is to look at its telson. if its dark then its an adult. i need confirmation if this also works for Pandinus cavimanus.

jeroenkooijman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
By the way... both my cavimanus have black telsons... does this mean they are both adults and ready for mating? i was told they were 5i but the seller was not 100% sure.
I would say, try and estimate their total length. subadults also have a dark telson and therefore its pretty hard to tell if they are adults. Since these guys are mostly WC it's not easy to say which instar they are.

Trying to get them together as you explained is in my opinion the best way to try it. Feed them well and try within a few weeks. If a fight breaks out, separate them again. I have housed adults, lower instars and anything in between in groups without any problem, even when one of them was molting. The most important part is feeding. Of course some might just not be communal. Every animal has its own behaviour.

When placing them together again I wish you good luck and hopefully they will live together without too much trouble ;)

dcon25

Arachnopeon
both are about 3.5 inches in length, tip to tail. thanx for the help gurus:clap: