indian pede?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
One possible motive I didn't think of before was that the hoaxter could be a dealer offering a "new" species. Bring profit into the picture, and it makes a little more sense if it is a hoax.

Still, I have no opinion either way, yet.

Wade

wayne the pain

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
indian pede

just had some more info on this pede this pede is SUPPOSED to be S hardwickei the photo has been compared to a dried specimen in the oxford museum thts all i know for now goin to keep on seaching i will get to the bottom of this :mad: :mad: :mad:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Unfortuantelty, centipedes don't retain much color after death. The preserved specimen probably looks nothing like the living ones.

Wade

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Unfortuantelty, centipedes don't retain much color after death. The preserved specimen probably looks nothing like the living ones.
yep,... you're right,... couldn't agree more :)

somewhere between all my scolopicts i collected for over several years i've got some other pictures of the scolopendra hardwickei,.... got to search harder,...

@Wayne,... i'll help you get to the bottom ;) :D

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
I'm inclined to put skepticism aside for now... I have three different "castaneiceps" and one has yellow antennae, one has red antennae to match the head, and one had legs that looked more orangeish than yellowish... even within a specific color morph, the variability is possible. Also, the black areas don't look like they've been tampered with... i.e. there are none of the artifacts associated with adding extraneous material to a photo to manipulate it. If it's a fake, I'm impressed. :)

wayne the pain

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
indian pede

good on ya gongyles if we get a name for it its all been worth while and good for your database on them:} :} :}

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mister Internet
Also, the black areas don't look like they've been tampered with... i.e. there are none of the artifacts associated with adding extraneous material to a photo to manipulate it. If it's a fake, I'm impressed. :)
You're forgetting the low tech method of getting some black paint, preferably water based, and modifying a perfectly normal looking pede.

Take a look at the "bleed over" in the first pic (and even the second but I didn't circle those):

Attachments

wayne the pain

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
indian pede

gongyles just been on a indian zoo sight coimbatore zoo they refer S hardwickei as the asian tiger centipede said to be very rare wouldnt of thought they would call it that if it was just plain maybe the black markings have something to do with it being called tiger anyway enough of my sarcasm
wayne the pain :p :p :p

wayne the pain

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
indian pede

oh one more thing who in there right mind would hold down a 25cm pede to paint it and get a pic just for a hoax dont think so
the pain:?

Mister Internet

Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by Code Monkey
Take a look at the "bleed over" in the first pic (and even the second but I didn't circle those):
Bleed over? What, you mean like smudgy black areas? :)

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mister Internet
Bleed over? What, you mean like smudgy black areas? :)[/IMG]
No, I mean where there is black *extending* from a black tergite to a red one with no particular pattern.

Sorry to have to keep defending myself, but I really don't see what is believable about those pics on the surface.

As for Wayne's comment's regarding painting a pede, that would go a long way towards explaining the obvious sloppiness of the job ;)

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Maybe the one with the black head is hoaxed, but I have my doubts.
I was at the mall. Kids were hungry so we went to Chick-fil-A. The kid's meals came with wildlife books (Coral Reef, Meadow, etc.). One of them was "Rain Forest". This is probably inappropriate to scan and put up, but the book was free :) Delete it if you must. Photographer is Frank Greenway. The book is credited to Dorling Kindersley. To buy these books, go to dk.com
This was inside:

Attachments

wayne the pain

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
indian pede

yes we have those books in uk also and have seen that pic before thats alot better pic though lokks to me you have ended the debate on if its real or not we would be much better wasting our time on finding out about this pede and what its name is and if anyone has any for sale ha ha ha :D

Mister Internet

Arachnosupporter +
Wow, talk about your freaky coincidences... :)

That pede is absolutely gorgeous... even though it will probably never happend, it would be great to see some of those pop up in the hobby.

wayne the pain

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
indian pede

yeh that was a good find that pic is there any photo credits in that book might be able to get in touch with the person who took photos and find out bit more about it or more pics,or better still where he got it from =D =D =D

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by LaRiz
Maybe the one with the black head is hoaxed, but I have my doubts.
I was at the mall. Kids were hungry so we went to Chick-fil-A. The kid's meals came with wildlife books (Coral Reef, Meadow, etc.). One of them was "Rain Forest". This is probably inappropriate to scan and put up, but the book was free :) Delete it if you must. Photographer is Frank Greenway. The book is credited to Dorling Kindersley. To buy these books, go to dk.com
This was inside:
Well I'll be damned. Now, see, here we have some independent corroboration and it even has the smudging I'm whining about.

Now, if someone will just mail a few specimens to me for personal examination I'll declare it completely legit ;)

Mister Internet

Arachnosupporter +
Originally posted by Code Monkey
Now, if someone will just mail a few specimens to me for personal examination I'll declare it completely legit ;)
I don't know if standard "shotgun" rules apply here, Code... ;)

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
@LaRiz

that's the picture i was searching for,... i knew i saw those pedes before,....

woooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooo:}

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Very nice looking pede, and it might even be a bit on the poisonous side too from the bright warning colors, or maybe it isn't and just trying to appear that way. Kinda like a coral snake... It is really strange though in all the pictures there is that one area where the banding seems to take over 2 segments occasionally being red-red on the 1st two and black-black on the scanned book picture

Yeah, I'd be willing to buy one if they were ever to appear on the market too :)