Genus Phormictopus

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If not P cancerides, any ideas on what it could be?
but do you think it looks like the us hobby "p. platus" (p. auratus) ?
moose
It very well could be P. auratus, yes. Have to run now, but will comment more later.
I'm not terribly familiar with how P. auratus looks during it's younger stages though.

Eric

Last edited:

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

a Phormictopus cochleasvorax after it's meal:

all the best,
Martin

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
GoTerps, the pic you posted might be what is at rare occations sold as P. cancerides cancerides here in Europe, or even P. Cancerides "blue". So I guess it's just not properly identified or described even, as you say. I darn myself for not buying some when I had the chance.

On another note, I recently mated my cancerides male and female. The male was a beautiful copper color when he was a juvie, and then turned out like this.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa16/onlywork/PcanceridesMM.jpg

The fem looks alot like Strongboys, with the pinkish carapace. Almost like a huge and hungry Rosea ;) But then again, in a different light, Sooners pic might be the more identical. The lighting in the pics are very deciving.

She's got a sack now, and in 55 days we'll get to see the result.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The fem looks alot like Strongboys, with the pinkish carapace. Almost like a huge and hungry Rosea ;) But then again, in a different light, Sooners pic might be the more identical. The lighting in the pics are very deciving.
I think the lighting in the pictures might be deceiving you. IMHO, the female and male in strongboys post go together (both are the "purple" species)... but I would not mate that female with your male. The appearance of your male is consistent with P. cancerides... as is the spider in Sooner's picture. Both the males and females of these 2 species are not difficult to tell apart, and it's quite surprising they've been sold as the same thing for so many years here. This is not the first time I've kinda ranted about it, but maybe it will do some good :)

They have been bred and sold as P. atrichomatus here as well. One of the matings which produced spiderlings sold as such can be seen in this very thread a few pages back.

P. atrichomatus and P. cancerides are both dominant, large species from Hispaniola. Apparently, P. cancerides is found over a large range on the south central/west portions of the island, while P. atrichomatus is widespread on the northern and eastern parts of the island.

P. atrichomatus is not a species devoid of taxonomic confusion. It was described based on a exuvium... the living holotype was supposed to be deposited later... nothing happened and both the specimen and the exuvium were "lost". The paratype was an incorrectly identified P. cancerides. Rudloff, with apparent permission from Schmidt, set up a Neotype, based on specimens from the ZMB. But I'm getting off topic... however, I do not feel this "purple" species is P. atrichomatus, but this is based on images alone, and as we all know that is often misleading.

There is some good work being continued on this group I believe, and on spiders from Cuba/Hispaniola... so there very well may be more known about this "puple" species than has been published about.

GoTerps, the pic you posted might be what is at rare occations sold as P. cancerides cancerides here in Europe, or even P. Cancerides "blue". So I guess it's just not properly identified or described even, as you say.
That is true, I have seen them labeled as P. cancerides cancerides in Europe. I've also seen them sold as Phormictopus sp. "purple" in Europe. I've never seen them sold under those names in the U.S. (except some imported slings have recently been sold as sp. "purple")

Eric

Last edited:

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

a Phormictopus cochleasvorax after it's meal:

all the best,
Martin
Wow! Very cool, Martin! How does it get the snail out? I've watched Dipsas sp. snakes eat snails...but they're able to get their jaws into the shell opening and work the snail out...how in the hell does a tarantula do it???:?

Chris

hamfoto

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That is ABSOLUTELY the cooooooolest thing I've ever seen a T do...:eek:

Who knew a T would evolve that behavior!

Thanks Martin!

Chris

strongboy4

Arachnopeon
Phormictopus CANCERIDES

Hy @ all:
oh, I love those pic-determinators ;P
@ Eric:
The animals of the pictures were determinated by Rudloff himself :worship: as P. cancerides and nothing else.
I know that they are sold as P. sp. purple/blue/violet/centumfocensis/cautus/... whatever. Good sellers job.... ggg
I´ve got a breeding group 4.7 of them and hope to get an eggsack.

best regards

Didi

Ps: And why on this dammed forum I have to delete my other pictures if I wanna post a new pic? :evil:

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The animals of the pictures were determinated by Rudloff himself :worship:
as P. cancerides and nothing else.
If you say so.

Is is possible for 2 very different looking spiders to be the same species... well of course it is. Have I personally compared the normal P. cancerides to these purple spiders? No, I haven't and it's not high on my list of things to do. If the 2 different spiders being called P. cancerides in this thread really are the same species, then I'll shut up, but I simply do not buy it.

And why on this dammed forum I have to delete my other pictures if I wanna post a new pic? :evil:
Probably b/c you have reached the limit of your allotted attachment space. Try using photobucket or a service of that type... or another damned forum.

Good luck with your matings.

Eric

strongboy4

Arachnopeon
colour variant

Hey Eric!
Admittedly I was wondering, too, that they are cancerides, but J.P. Rudloff told me after investigation that they are.
I think just a colour variant.
And: Yes, I ´ve reached the limit. But I don´t think these limits are good for posting pics, because so I have to keep my best pics from you. :8o
And this forum is dammed good.... ;)
take care

Didi

Last edited:

johnson

Arachnopeon
sold as phormictopus cancerides.

is that really whats it was sold as?
response awaited.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
0.1 P. cancerides

something tells me she's going to molt soon. not willing to give up her title of "largest T in my collection", i suppose {D

Rob Kuhn

Last edited: