Genus Coremiocnemis

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Coremiocnemis sp. Malaysian Purple (blue) Femur

This female produced 106 spiderlings last fall, and she recently molted. This is natural sunlight with shade...Good God these things are beautiful! Freak'in arachnocandy! :D

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This female produced 106 spiderlings last fall, and she recently molted. This is natural sunlight with shade...Good God these things are beautiful! Freak'in arachnocandy! :D
Good lord Kelly, I do believe I just wet myself.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Great looking spider Kelly!Looking forward to mine growing up into that!
-Chris

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nice spider Kelly!

But, I worry about calling that spider "Malaysian purple femur".

The spider that has previously been sold here in the states as "Malaysian purple femur" is not the spider you pictured. I think your spider and my "blue" one above are the same thing.

Bill Korinek and I sold a lot of CB "Malaysian purple femur" (the name gearheart sold the WC's as) a couple years ago (all mine that I kept are like 2" now). I have pictures of my immature and mature males earlier in this thread.

Bill bred his female with my males. His female can be seen HERE.

I just want to try and avoid having the same name applied to different things.

Eric

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice spider Kelly!

But, I worry about calling that spider "Malaysian purple femur".

The spider that has previously been sold here in the states as "Malaysian purple femur" is not the spider you pictured. I think your spider and my "blue" one above are the same thing.

Bill Korinek and I sold a lot of CB "Malaysian purple femur" (the name gearheart sold the WC's as) a couple years ago (all mine that I kept are like 2" now). I have pictures of my immature and mature males earlier in this thread.

Bill bred his female with my males. His female can be seen HERE.

I just want to try and avoid having the same name applied to different things.

Eric
Hi Eric, I hear what your saying about the common name, but all of mine before they molted in captivity looked like yours and Bill's specimens in the photos. Before she molted she had a more purpleish maroon look, but after she molted, and especially when the lighting was so intense, she looks real blue. I'm not sure if it IS another species, photos can be misleading to identify, especially from different cameras and lighting situation, but check these out...
This first pic is of the exact same female in my orginal post when I pulled her sac...

http://swiftinverts.com/pix/MPF2.jpg

This is her after she molted...

http://swiftinverts.com/pix/Cor3.jpg

The more recent photo is of her after her most recent molt, and with a new camera. Makes you go hmmmm, don't it!?

Swifty

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Eric, I hear what your saying about the common name, but all of mine before they molted in captivity looked like yours and Bill's specimens in the photos. Before she molted she had a more purpleish maroon look, but after she molted, and especially when the lighting was so intense, she looks real blue. I'm not sure if it IS another species, photos can be misleading to identify, especially from different cameras and lighting situation, but check these out...
This first pic is of the exact same female in my orginal post when I pulled her sac...

http://swiftinverts.com/pix/MPF2.jpg

This is her after she molted...

http://swiftinverts.com/pix/Cor3.jpg

The more recent photo is of her after her most recent molt, and with a new camera. Makes you go hmmmm, don't it!?

Swifty
Thanks Kelly. Do you happen to still have the molt from your female?

I still don't think they're the same thing... I think you're female was just on the very young side (but obviously mature) before this latest molt.

I could be talking out my rear, but the "Malaysian purple femur" stock I've seen never took on the "blue" of these girls.

Eric

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks Kelly. Do you happen to still have the molt from your female?

I still don't think they're the same thing... I think you're female was just on the very young side (but obviously mature) before this latest molt.

I could be talking out my rear, but the "Malaysian purple femur" stock I've seen never took on the "blue" of these girls.

Eric
Sorry Eric, I don't, but I can save one for you from one of my other females when they molt. I'm convinced mine are all the same species, and right now I have 4 females and one mature male, plus a good supply of spiderlings. I think since you have both the "blue" and your previous stock, which should be old enough to compare, I just don't have any left from the stock you and Bill produced left to compare, so you could be right about different species. Lets find an another name to call the "blue" species, what do you think? What about keeping it simple like Coremiocnemis sp. "malaysian blue"? It far describes the spider better than "Malaysian purple femur".

Swifty

Last edited:

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

On an european board, a similar spider was identified as Selenocosmia "Gundung Ledang Johor" (spelling???)

So they are more blue gems out there!!!

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Subadult, probably penultimate, Coremiocnemis sp., mislabelled as Lyrognathus robustus, WC from Tapah, Perak, Malaysia.

aros

Arachnopeon
Hello.

Coremiocnemis sp ???

This seems to be a really informative thread on coremiocnemis sp. But looks like a light reading confuse me more than being less informative. Hope to ID a tarantula here, but not sure where am I suppose to look at.

locality: Malaysian Rainforest.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Coremiocnemis tropix (Dwarf Form)
(Ultimate Male)

This male is a looker in person!!!Prob doesn't belong in this thread tho but until it gets re-described here it shall stay ;]
-Chris

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
tropix mating!

^Someone didn't wanna snuggle after!haha
-Chris