Trapdoor Tarantulas???

Onagro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A while ago this photo was posted with a tarantula acting like a trap door spider:

I really would like to know this spider's scientific name. I tried asking the original poster and searching but to no avail. Does anyone know?

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
WTH is this???? A (Haplopelma?) tarantula put into a trapdoor spider's enclosure? I've never seen this behavior before...now I'm curious to death to see how this gets answered. :cool:

Onagro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Seems like Chris answered the question on this page. :cool:

later, Tom
Thanks, Tom! This is a really big help! Typing "trapdoor tarantula" into the search engines was an exercise in futility.

Ornithoctoninae sp. "Malthai" , eh? Seems to be pretty interesting. I hope it's available again soon.

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
Check out Idiothele nigrofulva as well. Can anyone confirm or deny if Idiothele sp. "blue foot" behaves the same way as I. nigrofulva?

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow, learn something every day.
I had no clue about this genus...thanks for posting Onagro.

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Check out Idiothele nigrofulva as well. Can anyone confirm or deny if Idiothele sp. "blue foot" behaves the same way as I. nigrofulva?
you do not see the trapdoor very well on my picture, but ye, they build one. Nice thing is that you always see them out at night.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Now my curiosity grows.... This is fascinating.
I have an Ornithoctonus aureotibialis female aprox. 4+" and she has made a trumpet much like an Ephobopus.
I wonder what's going on here? Did I get gypped by my T.? :?

Anthony Straus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you do not see the trapdoor very well on my picture, but ye, they build one. Nice thing is that you always see them out at night.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: Martin please tell me you are breeding these!:eek:

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: Martin please tell me you are breeding these!:eek:
Anthony, depends what your definition of breeding is. If it is like many here on the boards, then yes I have bred them numerous times. If it is the same as mine, then no, not yet, but hoping for an eggsac.

Martin

Anthony Straus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Anthony, depends what your definition of breeding is. If it is like many here on the boards, then yes I have bred them numerous times. If it is the same as mine, then no, not yet, but hoping for an eggsac.

Martin
Haha, mine is the same as yours. Throw me on the waiting list for when/if the babies come;)