User Hobo's photos

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Thanks for the love guys!

So, The P. irminia triplets are in premolt once again. They seem to have done some serious home renovations in anticipation of their new size, as they've all doubled or tripled the size of their tube webs before sealing them off!

Even the one who built their web under the log so I couldn't see him has decided to make the majority of his tube web right up against the side. How thoughtful!

Meanwhile, The "stunning" G. rosea still starts her days (nights) with strange Tarantula Yoga stretching and contorted grooming...

...before enjoying her first meal after her moult! nomnomnom

And as usual, the N. chromatus is just sitting around lookin' pretty.

....and here's Deadpool with my Rosea exuvium. Chimichanga!

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
BUT!
There's more.
I recently recieved a $100 gift certificate for a local mall, so I did what any normal person would do: See if they had a pet store and if they had any spiders.

They did! A couple of B. smithi, A few avics, the obligatory rosea, and even a huntsman spider(that was missing 4 legs :8o ).
So, I had them shoo the smithi, one by one, on to the sides of their enclosures so I could see their naughty bits while a small crowd gathered to watch the tarantula pervert shine a mini aquarium light up spiders butts.
First one I was uncertain about. Second one was obvioulsy female(?) to the best of my knowledge, especially when compared to the other. So, took her home. Came out to $86 for a 3" female(?) smithi!
And she's Gorgeous!

Oh yes, I know, I already have a B. smithi sling. Don't worry, I still love him! As long as he isn't putting crap in his water dish or something stupid like that I'll still lov-

......:wall:

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You have a nice collection, your post molt rosea is stunning!

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Def. a female. That old time vid is HILARIOUS.
Sweet, and thanks. The chromatus is hard to see down there even with a flashlight, so I can only see a lot of detail if I take a picture and blow it up.

Anyway, here's summore pics of the new girl. Got a more accurate measurement, she's about 2.75! Lots of room to grow.

She's by far the most docile T I have right now. My rosea always does a half-assed threat display when I prod her, while this one just kind of shuffles to accomodate you, like it's business as usual.

She even lets me man-handle her without protest! Female right? I hope so!

And with all the attention she's getting, it seems my other sling is starting to fly right - using the water dish for actual drinking!

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Hello again. Just thought I'd post some pics of the new girl settling in.
She actually did rather well the first few days, and spent no time on the glass, despite the substrate being seriously damp just a few millimeters underfoot.

In fact... she seemed to love the damp substrate enough that she dug all the dry out of her hide and packed it all in the entrance, while digging an exit that went out the back. What a handywoman!

Unfortunately, only after a few days, I could start seeing all kinds of nasty things growing on the celing of her little humid-house, and was forced to remove it at least until her sub completely dries. In the meantime, I gave her a plastic hide, which she has already begun to "remodel" just like her cork hide.

Everyone else is still in premoult except her and the rosie, so nothing much else- Oh. Just checked on them and one of the irminia triplets are molting as I type this. Well I suppose I'll have some nice new pics in a few days... and I will be getting a new addition on Wednesday...:eek:

So until then, I leave you with a short feeding vid of the rosie, who has incidentally stopped being so docile and nice. Mamamia!
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JAF7EjQBi_s&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JAF7EjQBi_s&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I like ur humor me 2.
Seriously though. I subscribed to your youtube channel just in case you put some more up. Something about cricket death being funny just gets me every time.
-ben

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The new girl is a looker! Definitely female, too.. just in case that was still somewhat up in the air LOL

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
The new girl is a looker! Definitely female, too.. just in case that was still somewhat up in the air LOL
Oh yeah. She is most definitely a lady. Went back to the LPS I bought her at and took a good long look at the male we left there. Definitely a female when compared!

So anyway, a heap of good news today! The irminia molted successfully, and has chosen to NOT eat up it's molt this time, so hopefully I can get at in in the next few days. The 2 others are currently really black, and I'm guessing they're fixin' to molt tonight. Wish I could get some pics, but they webbed p their tube webs a little thick this time.:eek:

Ms. Nhandu's molt should be over within the next few days, as she has completely baricaded her hide with webs!

But, the best news is that my recent acquisition has arrived safely and soundly, despite the near freezing temperatures outside! That's right, there's a new girl on the block, and you better believe she's a looker! She's about 2.5, I'm guessing, and is a fattie! (I like big butts and I cannot lie!)

Yup, finally got my hands on a female P. metallica! My pockets are still hurting though.... but it was worth it.:drool:

ArachnoYak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey hobo, what pet store in Van is that? I'll have to check it out next time I'm there.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Hey hobo, what pet store in Van is that? I'll have to check it out next time I'm there.
It's the Pet habitat in Metrotown, though they don't take great care of their spiders and they are VERY overpriced. Also, there are very few people who actually know about Ts specifically. Actually the only way I'd recommend them is if you have a gift certificate like I did. I know I shouldn't support stores with poor husbandry practices (yes, same store), but I'm weak damnit!! Still worth a look, though, IMO.

I would actually recommend Aquariums West (Do a google search on it). They don't take PERFECT care of their spiders, but they are relatively knowledgable, have fair prices, good selections (had a few pokies over the summer) and seem to know their stuff a bit better than most. Nice reptile selection too.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Was lucky enough to witness 3 molts over the weekend, and was able to watch all of them from start to finish. Hooray for being sick at home with the FLU! Not really, but Hooray all the same!
First my N. chromatus molted. I noticed it pacing a bit behind her silken curtains, and before I knew it she stuck her leg halfway up the bark and gracefully lay down on her back. Talk about luck!

She almost immediately started molting, while I bit my nails hoping not to see any hooks or boxing gloves! Here you could just barely see the new legs emerging.

And here she is fully underway. You can see her new legs and brighter red abdomen coming out of her old exo.

Molt was a sucess, and she looks brighter, thicker, and best of all, No hooks or gloves! Can't wait to get at her exuvium to confirm. She's beautiful, either way.

Have a vid of her cleaning herself after the molt too! The background music isn't metal, so you might want to turn off your speakers!!;P I'm joking. You should totally turn them up and expect awesome metal music, heh heh heh...
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CtCLWC6i_Pc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CtCLWC6i_Pc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

The two remaining premolt irminia also molted. They are all now in semi adult colors. They grow up so fast... *tear*:eek: These pics are a bit hard to make out, but you're going to get them anyway!
Just poking the head out...

and done...!

They're about 2.5 now, maybe a little less. Love em.

The P. metallica is getting along fine; she has webbed herself a nice tube web on the corkbark. She's in premolt too... can't wait to see her new suit!

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Yup, female! Nice to finally have confirmation.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Congrats on the molts!

The music to the N. chromatus made me laugh my arse off.. but it fits perfectly! Well done! lol

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Congrats on the molts!

The music to the N. chromatus made me laugh my arse off.. but it fits perfectly! Well done! lol
Thanks! I hope for the same luck with at least 1 of the irminia, but not the smaller B. smithi. I hope he's male!

I'm glad you liked the vid! And it should fit, it's the Tarantella! :p

Cawdy

Arachnopeon
Just came across your post!!! Amazing! Love the movies too :D I have to agree with Mr Awesome cricket deaths are humerous :D

Amazing collection!!! All gorgeous!!!{D Look forward to seeing more :D

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Well, Today was my N. chromatus' first meal after her molt, and after she ate, it was quite clear she was her old self again.:mad:

"Well that was pleasant... time to take out the trash."

"All this cricket exoskeleton would have gone straight to my first leg femurs anyway..."

"My poop's still here. The drain must be clogged again..."

"Oh well."

"Patooie!"

"Good thing this water routinely washes away all my crap! I dunno what I'd do without it!"

"Look at all this leftover web in here! Welp, I better ball it up, go back to the water, and dump it too! Actually, I don't want to clog it up, so I'll wait until it's all clean again before doing it.