A Bicolor?

Hentzi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm getting one of these scorpions can i ask what is a full grown adults size also whats the best substrate to achieve a happy scorp?

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Roughly 3"+/- a few cm. Sand, fine sand - prep the enclosure, moisten the sand and then let it dry (holds form for burrowing activity) - you can also mix 70/30 sand/clay to get a stronger substrate for burrowing. Keep the substrate relatively dry. 90°f daytime, 80°f nighttime - you can just keep the temps in that range but the best regimen is to offer it a day and night cycle - this varies from one keeper to the next but this was the recommendation of Eric Ythier.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
i like the mix he suggested. a couple of mine even used a hide on a peat/sand mix. a little bit of a burrow, but with a hide.

they are beautiful scorps:

and as rasputin said, 3" would be a good size. the biggest i had was right around 3", maybe just a hair less:

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
the one in the pic actually looks like a crassicauda which can get just a little bit bigger than the bicolors

john

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
the one in the pic actually looks like a crassicauda which can get just a little bit bigger than the bicolors

john
top pic, right? 2 diff scorps, both sold/given as bicolor. the difference can be seen in the length of something or other on the tail segments right?

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
top pic, right? 2 diff scorps, both sold/given as bicolor. the difference can be seen in the length of something or other on the tail segments right?
Actually, mind your pedipalps and chela as A. bicolor are known to have stiletto-like chela in comparisson to the more pronounced and robust chela of A. crassicauda. In general A. crassicauda is larger and more robust than A bicolor.

Here are some old posts from AB and VL for anyone that may need this info:

7-26-2007, 04:49 AM on VL
Luc said:
A. bicolor: Ventral surface of telson primarily smooth; widely scattered granulation may be present in reduced numbers.

A. crassicauda: Ventral surface with 3 rows of distinct granules.
07-10-2006, 09:59 AM on AB
Luc said:
Behaviorally, there really isn't much difference between A. bicolor and A. crassicauda except that A. bicolor tends to be just a bit more high-strung and spontaneously reactive.
However, A. crassicauda also have many unique factors dissimilar to A. bicolor. Also, A. crassicauda tend to be larger and more robust than A. bicolor and are a very rare and beautiful scorpion!
A. bicolor is commonly exported from N. Africa while, most A. crassicauda are erroneously included in such shipments and mistakenly sold as A. bicolor.
07-10-2006, 05:06 PM on AB
quiz said:
A.bicolor : male 26 - 32 pectine tooth and female 20 - 27 p.t

A.crassicauda : male 27-32 p.t and female 23-27 p.t

http://bultel.p.free.fr/En/Androctonus sp.htm

Koh_

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
im not an expert, but chelaes look bit different with a.bicolor.

here is a pic of a couple bicolor i had before.
you can see the difference i think..

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Roughly 3"+/- a few cm. Sand, fine sand - prep the enclosure, moisten the sand and then let it dry (holds form for burrowing activity) - you can also mix 70/30 sand/clay to get a stronger substrate for burrowing. Keep the substrate relatively dry. 90°f daytime, 80°f nighttime - you can just keep the temps in that range but the best regimen is to offer it a day and night cycle - this varies from one keeper to the next but this was the recommendation of Eric Ythier.
i don't want to sound stupid, but is that the same for australis?

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i don't want to sound stupid, but is that the same for australis?
Are you inquiring about the size/description or the care? Care is pretty much the same across the genus, the sizes vary by a few cm (A. bicolor is one of the smaller, if not the smallest of the genus).

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My one is tiny,much smaller than australis but is pretty nippy
ps ....they are much smaller and a lot less dangerous than australis.........what the f are you doing with the Scorp if you you don't know that ?

snappleWhiteTea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ps ....they are much smaller and a lot less dangerous than australis.........what the f are you doing with the Scorp if you you don't know that ?
is that to me or the poster? :?

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Are you quoting someone or trying to make a statement? You have a license to keep Buthids?

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The topic made me think of this thread, something else to look at. Was it already brought up?
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=166052&page=2
It wasn't brought up and it's also very good. I really hadn't payed much attention to AB since early last year until a couple weeks ago so I missed that - I stick to the palps and chela to differentiate but that actually answers Brian's question where I pointed something completely different out.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
thanks ras, that's the info i was thinking of. had to go to work ;) thanks.

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Are you quoting someone or trying to make a statement? You have a license to keep Buthids?
<edit> has it got to do with you anyway.
Them and us again I see....even over your side of the pond.......very sad.
I do not keep DWA !

Last edited by a moderator: