C. vittatus and the color morphs

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
okay, here is an interesting request, could everybody who has vittatus post a pic of their specimens? I am curious to see which morphs are the most common, plus i love comparing them. so if you have a vittatus, please post it. and if you know, please state where it is from.

i'll start off, here is one of mine, WC in Fall River, KS

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Kugellager said:
M/F C.vittatus and collection habitat in Carlsbad New Mexico area.

John
];')
Wow, wonderful area...

Here's my two forms (don't know where they are from exactly but I know the yellow is from Mexico and the orange from R.Lamb, so I suppose from California)

An here's a young of the ""hot and humid conditions form"" ;)

Greetings,
Eric

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

here´s a female of unknown origin. It seems to prefer it hot and more or less dry although I´m observing it drink about once a week.

Greetings
Alex

Last edited:

Vanan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't know if scorpling pics are of any use but these are the lil vittatus I got off a dealer. No locale info. I'm currently keeping them hot (~83F) and humid (moist substrate). I've only had em for about 2 weeks. 2 out of 3 have eaten for me. Should I be altering their conditions?

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
John, is that the same hill we were collecting on?

redhourglass

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
First picture of specimen collected in an sandy area in Monahans TX (west TX--'xeric') and other from near Abilene TX (north central TX--'mesic').

If I have time to get into the Big Bend Region of Texas within the next few months or spring next year I'll post photos of the pantheriensis and chisosarius forms. Drastic difference. Tax. history in the Catalog and one of the last few issue of the ATS mag.

Cheers.

Sinc. Chad

Attachments

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

here´s a picture of the female from above with 2. instar scorplings on her back.

Greetings
Alex

Last edited:

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

it´s a relatively cheap camera, a Toshiba PDR-M25. I bought it second-hand on Ebay Germany for about 50 Euros.

Here´s another pic of a C. vittatus carrying scorplings. It´s a female collected in Carlsbad with 1. instar young.

Greetings
Alex

Last edited:

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great pictures, thanks Mr.Toshiba and Alex ;)
Greetings,
Eric

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Indeed a nice species. I like this one beter than C. Gracillis

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wow, strange and beautiful specimen :)
Greetings,
Eric

leiurus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
JDub, are you sure it is a vittatus? I'm not an expert, I just think its a little strange for a C. vittatus :rolleyes: {D ;)

JDub

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When i first got it, i posted a picture and asked for identification and everyone agreed that it was a vittatus. the picture isnt amazing, but she does have a triangle on her face. it is faded in the middle. i dont know about you guys, but i love the colors on Vanan and Ythier's specimens. Red and black is always a cool way to go. I'd love to get my hand on a pair of those.

redhourglass

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats Alex !

Keep us updated how well the instars do in captivity c/o of this earlierthread

Note: instar stage one is after first molt right?

All the best,

Sinc. Chad

Nazgul said:
Hi,

here´s a picture of the female from above with 2. instar scorplings on her back.

Greetings
Alex

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thanks Chad,

a second female from Carlsbad has given birth also which means I´ve got three C. vittatus females carrying youngs at the moment :).

According to these sentences "Upon birth, first instar scorplings climb onto their mother´s back, where they remain until a few days after their molt to second instar." in FRANCKE & SISSOM and "Newborn scorpions stay with their mother through the first instar (or larval stage) and, in most cases, begin dispersing in three days to two weeks after molting to the second instar." in the POLIS, I was of the opinion 1. instar means the stage between birth and the first molt. Didn´t I understand correctly?

Greetings
Alex