i need some help

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'v been a member of this place for like a month and a half but this is my first post. OK,today i was watching my emps do there thing like I always do.But today i noticed tons of very little white things all over in the cage and crawling on my scorps.I think their mites but I'm hopeing their not is their any thing else they could be.And how would I go about getting rid of them.
Thank You. :confused:

Last edited:

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sounds like mites. clean the enclosure very well, use a brush to get them off your scorps, check your substrate to see if that is the source, if not then they probably came from the crix (I haven't seen a mite since I started using roaches from food)
Rev

MACZ

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sounds like mites to me aswell.
You need to keep your eye on any dead food that is left in your tank as this can cause it:(

ScorpDude

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
aren't there predetory bugs that you can get, they eat the mites then your scorps pick them off? maybe that could be a good idea. not sure of the name though.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
also search for "predatory mites" scientific name is hypoaspis miles or something

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Here is some more information on the predatory mite species Hypoaspis miles which feeds on other mites and has been used effectively by many invert hobbiests to control mite infestations in their collections.

http://www.biconet.com/biocontrol/hypoaspis.html

The second link is to the main page of the previous link where you can purchase some of these predatory mites to control your problem. This place is a US dealer.

http://www.biconet.com/index.html

I have ordred H.miles from this company and have had excellent success st controlling mite infestations in my collection. These predatory mites have spread to most of my enclosures and have made my collection mite free (excep for H.miles of course)

You can also control a mite infestation if it is not too bad by letting the enclosure dry out...this will sometimes help...you also need to be diligent with keeping the enclosure free of left over food particles as mites will hunker down in these at times.

Wood lice is a common name for several different intertebrates...in the UK, and other parts of europe, 'wood lice' are what most people in North America call 'Pill Bugs' . Wood lice and Pill bugs have been used by more than a few keeper to help keep their enclosures clean by allowing them to eat the leftovers.

John
];')