tunnels

bonny

Arachnopeon
ok now i've got this brazillian black and white....but it has decided it is gonna tunnel.....i mean majorly.....so i'm gonna let it. but the thing is i'm moving in 6 months to the campus of university of manitobia to go to shcool. my mom has offerd to take care of elyanalyous ( my g. rosea) and scarlet (my brazillian black and white). she's worried that it will get stuck in a tunnel and die. is this possible? she suggested i get a hampster tunnel kit for it...that way if it dissapears she can dig the tunnel up without acually hurting the t. has anyone tryied this? would it work? i need to know asap cuz i don't want to upset the t again by remoldeling it's tank again in just over a month! plus mom offered to buy it for me if i got her an answer on this asap. i don't want to hurt the t...but i also don't know if this woulod hurt them. i know you can get wide tunnels, that they can be cleaned realatively easily...are translucent and also can get wide room like structures that snap onto the tunnel. i only want the best for my t...and this seems like a feasable plan...is it?

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
its fine what it is doing most terrestrial slings and some full grown T's will burrow and tunnel a lot its completley normal...they line the burrow/tunnels with silk and make them very strong...i would let it be sometimes they stay underground for quite a long time especially when a molt is coming up...just offer it food and if it wants to eat it will come to the top of the tunnel and feast... :D

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
oh yeah and also in the event of a cave in of a tunnel just dig out very gently so you do not hurt the T...never heard of anyone using those hampster tunnels so im really not sure.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't think those hampster tubes would work, i mean you can't really teach a T to use them, and i doubt they would know what they were for. I agree with what Pinktoes804 said, take his advice, he knows what he is talking about.

-Mattyb

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I used hamster tunnels - but the 5" kind, not the ones that connect together.
They are perfect for starting burrows, although I only use them for my obligates. They are usually 3.99... Pets 101 on Portage has them.

Where are you living now? I'll have you added to the Canadian forum.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
sheri said:
I used hamster tunnels - but the 5" kind, not the ones that connect together.
They are perfect for starting burrows, although I only use them for my obligates. They are usually 3.99... Pets 101 on Portage has them.

Where are you living now? I'll have you added to the Canadian forum.

Hmmm...thats interesting, could you post some pics? If they are as good as u say they are then maybe i will pick some up.

thanks,
-Mattyb

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here are the pics...

The spider in the pic has not continued to burrow beyond what you see, but it's still settling in.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thats pretty cool, maybe i'll try that. thanks for posting some pics Sheri.

-Mattyb