Official Handling Thread.

Dreadwraven

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wait a second

All last week I was laughing my rearend off because I thought that you guys had doctored those images. The smithi's mating and the regalis threat pose while feeding on a hand and then the usumbara on the face!!! I thought those were all fake, and I still think that a couple of them are. Anyways, this thread has been the hi lite of my week so thanks everyone who contributed.

By the way, I think it was very responsible to be sitting on the floor while it was on your face. {D

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
stewartb said:
Hello,

A genuine question , looking for a serious answer.

Why handle any of your spiders??

Please could someone give the reasons why you do it, and why you would want to put pics of it on the net?

Regards.

Stew.
Here is one rather long discussion on the topic. If you do a search with the key word of "handling" you will get 40 pages of results. This has been discussed many times and it would be worth your time to read through some of those discussions.

Also, this is really the wrong forum for this discussion. Let's not start the debate in this thread.

taorchard1987

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
just looked at the handling pics and just want to day that you people must be mad especially the bloke feeding the regalis with it on his hand, <edit> handling OW's i just about hold my 9" salmon pink when im drunk, but fair play to ya all :clap:

Last edited by a moderator:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
well, she was rather pissed off, as I had just taken her eggsac away...but...
she controlled herself.
oh, yes, and for the people that ask 'why handle'...she ran away, and I didn't have a wooden spoon handy)

Last edited:

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
This is as brave as I get. Even with gloves the hairs just killed me. In my nose, on my arms, even on my tongue!! I'll never hold him again!

JPD

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here are a couple of my more stupid, yet memorable, holds:

H.lividum

P.murinus

L.hesperus

T.blondi

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well you all have gutts...I have a hard enough time holding my A.Avic let alone any of our other T's....but I would loveeeeeee to hold my P.Irmina but I think I'll just do that in my dreams.

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Holding my P. irminia has always been unnerving. She typically has her fangs parted the entire time. I think my H. maculata is better minded.

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
brigebane said:
Holding my P. irminia has always been unnerving. She typically has her fangs parted the entire time. I think my H. maculata is better minded.
You've actually held your P.Irminia?? :eek: I think I would need a few drinks before I ever attempted something like that.... But the day will come when I do and it will probably be one of those...omg she's jumped onto my arm! lol

JPD

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My friends N.chromatus was quite pissy this morning ... reared back and striking. I decided to see if she would actually follow through with a bite.....she didn't. Put my hand under her while she was doing her thing and she calmed right down.
Wonder if this is true for others.....I will find out and let you all know.

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
JPD said:
My friends N.chromatus was quite pissy this morning ... reared back and striking. I decided to see if she would actually follow through with a bite.....she didn't. Put my hand under her while she was doing her thing and she calmed right down.
Wonder if this is true for others.....I will find out and let you all know.
This was how I was once bitten by a P. lugardi. I don't think all spiders will back down :p

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This big girl was just out for a health check up. Man, I'm lucky if I see these things once every six months ;P

Last edited by a moderator:

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Usually i hold when i am tending to their cage and they come up to investigate so i just let them come onto my hand.

brachy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi all
Brigebane> Is your C. crawshayi from wild world?? she is nice.

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes Brachy, she was WC, the spider came into a shop that I managed in deplorable condition. Dehydrated, underfed and stressed out. I started a labor of love to nurse her back to health. It's been a year, ever since her arrival she's been quite mellow, as long as it isn't a pair of tongs.:)

Becky Wheeler

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Me and my baby Girl (G.Rosea) And curly hair "James"

The first pic is of my G.Rosea "Sharon" And the second is of "James" my Curly hair.

Last edited:

jw73

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Becky Wheeler said:
The first pic is of my G.Rosea "Sharon" And the second is of "James" my Curly hair.
Are you sure ?