Baby rosy boa

wicked

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My youngest boy finally got his first snake. He has been waiting a long time and saved up his money. Last weekend we found this little guy at the Denver reptile expo, his name is Dread. He is about 16" long and has a real appetite (he has eaten 3 pinkies since we got him)
Is that the appropriate amount of food for a rosy his size, or are we overfeeding/underfeeding? I have been going by his body language, if he acts hungry and in hunter mode we offer him a pinky.

Ianrosy.jpg

boidaddic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very nice, I talked to you about the rosies in the chat, 3 pinkies a weeks is fine just make sure he doesnt hold the snake till its been atleast 48 hours after he's eaten to prevent him from regurging. Good pic and I think rosies are THE best beginner snake, very good feeders and have excellent temperments. Good luck with him, btw good pic as well.
Regards,
Eric Weintraub

wicked

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you :)

I contacted the breeder and found out he was born Sept 2005, so now we know how old he is too. I have noticed, for a nocturnal species, he is very active in the daytime. Midmorning to early afternoon he checks out his tank or hangs over his grapevine decoration. Very awesome little snake, my son loves him. In fact a few days ago he said he wanted another snake!
OMG! Snakes aren't as addictive as tarantulas are they? :eek:

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, they are. If you need to stop the addiction, go buy a cribo or amazon tree boa. A month of fending them off during regular maintenance and your new-found addiction will be under control.:D

PA7R1CK

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wicked said:
OMG! Snakes aren't as addictive as tarantulas are they? :eek:
I just got my first snake and im hooked:) Looks like your getting addicted too haha enjoy :)

southern

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Addictive? No, surely not.

Let's see....2nd weekend in Jan I bought my boyfriend a snake as an early birthday pressie.
3 days later I bought me a snake as a "you don't have a snake" pressie.
Last saturday we went to pick up a striped amel corn.......we came home with the striped amel, 2 candy canes and a candy cane x motley.

As a side note, that rosy is BEAUTIFUL. They feel like silk.

One day........

Hels :D

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
gotta love those rosy boas! I have had an unsexed adult for years. just remember that they like it dry and you should be good to go. I give my adult a plastic bowl half full of water once a week, the bowl will dry up before the week is up. mine is usually a hearty eater.

wicked

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
He is a very cool snake for sure :D
This is a pic of his setup. Sorry about the funky angle, I had to stand on a chair to get the picture. His tank is ontop of a cabinet, away from curious paws and small hands. I am using crushed walnut shell as substrate, its easy to clean and he seems to enjoy it. He vanishes under it most of the day and I have seen him undulating through it like a sea serpent through waves. The water dish is filled once a week, but it is so dry here I don't think it will cause any kind of humidity problem. The grapevine decoration is another favorite place for him to hang out.

I love his color and pattern. Anyone else have rosy pics to share?

View attachment 49405

Last edited:

Ms. Peaches

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Very cute...is it a Coastal? My duaghter has 2 Bahia De LA Rosy Boas...they are soo sweet.