• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Pterinochilus murinus

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
result: successful

Here are the statistics from one of 3 mating attempts.
Received male on 9/17/02. I immediately put him into female's container. Her container is the largest size Kritter Keeper. (approx 5 gallons)
I had been feeding the female as much as she could eat prior to the male's arrival. Her abdomen was nice and round. Within 2 hours of arrival, I noticed their first mating.
9/20/02, male seems to have moved into female's burrow with her. I didn't observe any more matings, but did observe new sperm webs from time to time. The male and female would hang out on the side of the container, with their front pair of legs touching. I also observed them enlarging the original burrow.
10/23/02, male was eaten.
11/10/02 eggsac was made
12/9/02 I removed eggsac from female- post embryos inside
12/16/02 molted into 1st instar. A total of 173 slings were counted that had sucessfully molted. A few (probably less then 10) were undeveloped and thrown out.
1/20/03 molted into 2nd instar

Last edited:

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pterinochilus murinus (Usambara)

Two attempts: 1 successful 1 failed

1 male / 2 females

Male cohabitated with each female for approximately 4 weeks each. This was accomplished by placing the male's container and the female's container in a much larger container and removing the lids. The two tarantulas were allowed to move about at will. Matings were observed during both 4-week periods with the individual females. After 4 weeks, the male was removed to prevent him from being munched.

2 to 3 months later (records are sketchy), female #1 made an egg sac (more like a sling) on 08/05/03 and female #2 molted. (hence the above failure) Female #1 made the egg sac deep within her burrow. I did not remove the egg sac and kept it with the female. She maintained a constant vigil on the sac and never left her burrow.

On 09/08/03 I observed the female outside of the burrow. Being rather thin, I thought she was out hunting. I threw in a couple of crickets which she promptly killed and dropped into her burrow. After some careful checking, I observed 1st instar (by my estimation) spiderlings moving about near the egg sac.

09/12/03 I separated out the babies and found 53 spiderlings. There were the remains of some 15-20 eggs which had not hatched.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
FAILURE

Male was introduced 7-4-04. No mating was seen, but they cohabitated peacefully for about two weeks. Male was removed and sent on to another person. Middle of august, female began to fatten up. Middle of september, she became sluggish and even fatter, definately gravid. 10-1-04 found female dead, apparently of a ruptured abdomen.

BakuBak

Arachnolord
Old Timer
copulation ~ 20.6.2004
male wosnt killd , i took him out after 2 days
egsack ~15.8.2004
embrions remuved from egsack to incubate ~20.9.2004
first molt and becoming postembrions ~5.10.2004
secend molt today 24.10.2004

couted ~ 212 eggs
2% die as egg
1% die as embrions
no more looses

temperature and humidity level at feemale conteiner : 26*c , 70%
incubatin temperature and humidity level : 28*c , 80%

BakuBak

Arachnolord
Old Timer
next meeting .. 4.11.2004

i dont know if they make love but female wos drumming and now she dont . so possible they do this .

2.12.2004 -eggsack wos made !!!

it is her secend eggsack in this intermolt period
so it looks smoller then first but we will see

i am going to open it in 25.12.2004

eggs spoild 30.12.2004

Last edited:

Jaden

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
P. murinus breeding report.

Breeding Results:

Female/male number one: Failed (Due to shedding.)
Female/male number two:

Both P. murinus in this breeding report humidity is kept between forty percent to sixty percent. None were handled. None had molted while in my care nor had any fasted while in my care either.

Male Pterinochilus murinus will be male number one. He was gotten from Richard Bowman on 04/14/2005. I wasn't able to find anything out from Richard on the males eating habits, sperm web constrution, or anything eles. He has been fed two to four crickets a week, Gut Load, and Tarantula Bites since 04/14/2005. The male's cage is a plastic shoe box. The substrate is one hundred percent peat moss. The substrate is three inches deep. The only things in his cage are a food dish (Made from the bottom of a Dixie Cup.) and a water dish (Made from the bottom of a Dixie Cup.). He's kept at room temperature (Between seventy two and seventy four degrees.) with no additional heating source used. I wetted the substrate once since I got him and mist the cage once a week.

Female Pterinochilus murinus was gotten on 04/07/2005. She has been fed two to four crickets a week, Gut Load, and Tarantula Bites since 04/07/2005. The female was gotten from Arachnoboard member David F (David) here what information I got from David F. She was bought at a pet shop in 05/??/2003. He believes she was wild caught but that's not definite. She was about 2.5" in legspan and he believed she molted four times in his care. He moved at the end of 2003 and lost all the records that he had on her so she may have molted one more time but he can't remember for sure. He mated her once last year (07/??/2004 he thinks.) but didn't get any slings from her. He pulled the sac too early. The eggs ended up drying out due to his intervention. She molted not long (03/??/2005) before I bought her. The female's cage is a ten gallon tank. The substrate is one hundred percent peat moss. The substrate is three inches deep. The only things in her cage are a food dish (Made from the bottom of a Dixie Cup.) and a water dish (Made from the bottom of a Dixie Cup.). She's kept at room temperature (Between seventy two and seventy four degrees.) with no additional heating source used. I wet the substrate once since I got her and mist the cage once a week.

Male Pterinochilus murinus will be male number two. He was gotten from Quiet-1 (Andre) on 09/16/2005. I haven't had time to find anything out from Andre on the males eating habits, sperm web constrution, or anything eles. He has been fed two to four crickets a week, Gut Load, and Tarantula Bites since 09/16/2005. The male's cage is a plastic shoe box. The substrate is one hundred percent peat moss. The substrate is three inches deep. The only things in his cage are a food dish (Made from the bottom of a Dixie Cup.) and a water dish (Made from the bottom of a Dixie Cup.). He's kept at room temperature (At eighty degrees.) with no additional heating source used. I wetted the substrate once since I got him and mist the cage once a week.

04/28/2005

I introduced the male Pterinochilus murinus number one to the female Pterinochilus murinus on 04/29/2005. Mating took place at 3:34 a.m. E.S.T. The room was dimly lit by a basking light above my Bearded Dragons which is located on the other side of the room. I placed the male inside the female's tank (The tank setup is list above.), the only thing I think needs mentioned here is that the female built a hammock in a corner of the tank (Upper left side towards the front.). After a few minutes of walking around the male got the female's scent. The male started to sort of bounce and made his way to the female. The female was in her hammock (Also noted above.) the male touched the female's hammock and he drummed on it with his first leg. The female started drumming back. The male climbed to the top of the tank and tried to mate with the female. The male fell to the bottom of the tank. After the male fell he walked around the tank for several minutes before he found the female again. This time he coaxed her out of the hammock onto the side of the tank. Four different times they came together but no insertions were made. The male was sort of tapping on the females upper body (Is this their way of getting her in the mood?) on the fifth time the male did make a successful insertion with both pedipalp (These insertions lasted up to thirty seconds each.) several times. One thing I did notice was that the male didn't use his tibial hooks to catch the females fangs (Could this be from where and the way they mated?). Once the insertion was done the male was done mating but the female was still receptive. The female followed the male until the male sort of attacked her (No bites were seen but fangs were out on both.). The female didn't attack back but she did ball up. The male made a retreat. I took the male out with a Rubbermaid bowl (I love Rubbermaid. So many uses.) and placed him back in his cage. Both were checked for any wounds. None were seen. The whole mating process took around thirty minutes.

When the male was placed in his cage I gave each two crickets, Gut Load, Tarantula Bites, and a dish of water. I plan on keeping them on this diet for the next week. Only replacing what food and water is needed. During this time I will observe them to see if I notice any changes in any of them. If so I will record what I witness. After the male makes another sperm web I will see if they will mate again.

04/29/2005

I happened to see the male Pterinochilus murinus number one collecting sperm off his sperm web. The sight of him collecting the sperm was fascinating. He looked as if he was tapping the web to see if there was prey on it. The only reason I knew he was collecting sperm was the nozzle was extended. The female Pterinochilus murinus has tore down her hammock. She hasn't made a new one yet. Tonight I will try and mate the male and the female again.

04/30/2005

I placed the male Pterinochilus murinus number one in the female Pterinochilus murinus' cage again on 04/30/2005 at 3:10 a.m. E.S.T. the attempted mating was just that an attempt. The male wasn't responsive. No bounce, vibrating, nor any tapping. The female was as unreceptive as the male. The few times they came into contact with each other both stopped for a minute and then turned and made a hasty retreat. Something to note is that neither seemed aggressive toward the other. From what I saw both just seemed to want a place to themselves. At 3:40 a.m. E.S.T. I took the male out of the females cage. The whole process lasted thirty minutes. I might try to mate them again once the female has set up a hammock. Again they both were fed and given water.

07/14/2005

While feeding, watering, and spot cleaning I discovered the male dead.

07/24/2005

The female's opisthosoma has gotten allot bigger. She's started not to eat as much and she's built a hammock and doesn't wander off it. Maybe there will be an egg sack soon.

08/05/2005

Went to feed the female and check up on her today. I found she'd webbed herself in her hammock. She hadn't been eating the last two weeks. I would find dead crickets but none seemed to have been eaten on. So she's going to do one of two things is my guess. 1) Lay an egg sac. 2) (I hope its not this.) Molt. Time will tell which.

08/06/2005

I was doing a water change today on the female and decided to look in on her to she what and how she was doing. Well she shed. Tough luck for me. So I'll need to get another male and mate her again. I'll wait for about a month then breed her again.

09/17/2005

I introduced the male Pterinochilus murinus number two to the female Pterinochilus murinus on 09/17/2005. Mating took place at 10:11 p.m. E.S.T. The room was lit by a normal lighting. I placed the male inside the female's tank (The tank setup is list above.). She had no hammock or burrow built this time. After a few minutes of walking around the male made his way toward the female. The male started to sort of did a push up as he made his way to the female. The going was slow but he made it to the female. When he first touched the female she jumped off the wall of the cage. After a minute or so the male jumped down with the female. The fight start soon after. I broke the fight up. I didn't notice any bites delivered. Can't say for sure they both were a blur of orange fur. After about another minute the male made his way back to the female. He started to shake and soon after the female started drumming. Two different times they came together and insertions were made. Around 15 each time. One thing I did notice was that the male didn't use his tibial hooks to catch the females fangs since the female didn't bare her fangs. Once the insertion was done the male still wanted to mate but the female didn't seem receptive. I took the male out with a Rubbermaid bowl (I love Rubbermaid. So many uses.) and placed him back in his cage. Both were checked for any wounds. None were seen. The whole mating process took around one hour.

When the male was placed in his cage I gave each two crickets, Gut Load, Tarantula Bites, and a dish of water. I plan on keeping them on this diet for the next week. Only replacing what food and water is needed. During this time I will observe them to see if I notice any changes in any of them. If so I will record what I witness. After the male makes another sperm web I will see if they will mate again.

Last edited:

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mating Successful

Male and Female P. murinus (RCF) obtain early June from Michelle Beardall, aka OldHag.
The female molted a few days after arriving. Male was already mature.
I waited about 2 weeks after she molted to pair them up. Placed them both in a 10 gallon tank with 1 hide (half a butter container), a burrow (papertowel tube), and some twisty vines for climbing. Male later chose the hide, female chose the burrow. I witnessed the male walking around continuously, only stopping occasionally to rest in his hide, which he webbed up nicely.
It took him quite awhile to find the female. He finally found her burrow 6-24-05, walked inside, and there they sat face to face for nearly 2 hours. I came back into the room 2 hours later and they were both out. Then mating occurred, lasting about 2 minutes, and the male made his retreat up the side of the tank, female retreated immediately to her burrow.
I did not witness mating again, though I have suspicions they have, after seeing the male walk away from the female when the lights had all been off. She retreated when I turned the light on.

Male was consumed sometime during the night June 28th. I believe they mated atleast 2 times, coudl possibly be more. Will wait and see if a sac is produced.

Last edited:

Ice Cold Milk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
July 2nd, mated two RCF murinus.
Several insertions were made.
Here's pic of the mating, I won't post the actual pic since it's rather large. More pics can be seen in the root directory:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v350/Ice_Cold_Milk/Tarantulas/Pterinochilus%20murinus/Mating/?action=view&current=Picture031.jpg
And here's a video of the mating, it's 6 minutes long.
Murinus Mating
After mating on 3 seperate occasions, the male was left to cohabitate with the female, but was eaten 3 weeks later.
The female, as of today, is looking very very gravid. I expect her to drop a sac soon.

-=Matt=-

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pterinochilus murinus ncf

Successful!

A couple of weeks ago i mated my single female. It was a very calm mating.! The female let the male do his thing! and i saw atleast 3 attempts in witch one was very good. The male inserted for about 1 minute.! I,ll keep you guys informed about how it goes.!!! CHEERS!!!///Johan

Update: Wednsday 5/10
The female has spun herself in compleatly, so i think i will have a sack very soon! CHEERS!!!///Johan

Update: 6/10 Well, i can see a eggsack in there :D

Well, today,after a month, i opened the eggsack and found that it was full of nymph.! 159 to be exact!!

one more pics!

CHEERS!!!///Johan

Last edited:

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
1st Attempt at breeding

Successful!

I received Romeo 2 P. murinus mature male rcf on 10/05/05 from Surena. I found the remains of a sperm web this morning so I paired him with Lucky (female 1), two weeks out of her last molt. Lucky has been kept at room temperature 80 degrees and has been given all she could eat for the last ten days in preparation for this.

Watching them mate was very interesting. I placed him into her enclosure where Lucky had built a tubular web structure in the corner. He crawled right up onto the web and shivered all over, then began to pluck and drum. Lucky didn't move. After a few minutes of no response, he gave up on flirtatious foreplay and made his intentions more obvious. He began to break into her home through first one side of the webbing and then the other. Lucky likes her males direct and to the point. She turned around and met him in the hole he'd created. Both began to drum. He reared her up, but the webbing obscurred any palp insertions that might have taken place.

Romeo 2 backed out of her burrow and Lucky followed him, still very receptive and drumming away. Romeo 2 returned to her, reared her up again, but I only saw him stroking and drumming on her underside. They parted and instantly tried again. This time I saw a good insertion, and when they parted, they moved to opposite ends of the tank. I removed the male and will wait until he builds another web before I put them together again.

12/26/05 I went to feed my T's yesterday and what to my wondering eyes should I see, but an eggsac! Woot! So far so good. She's being kept at 80 degree temps and the humidity in her enclosure is steady at 70 with dry substrate and a water dish.

01/19/06 Our slings have hatched! We are getting ready to remove them from the eggsac, so I will update later tonight with a total count. But the incubator was kept at 82-84 degrees and 70% humidity. I left the eggsac with the mother for the first 10 days, the last 16 were in the incubator. And did I mention, we have slings?!?{D

Last edited:

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Pterinochilus murinus Breeding 10-11-2005

Hello.

Here are the details of the Pterinochilus murinus Breeding session.

Species:
Pterinochilus murinus

Date Bred:
09-29-2005 @ 7:15 PM

Conditions:
80 Degrees F & 68% Ambient Humidity

Species Details:
Female details: Adult 6" freshy molted
Male details: and freshly matured adult male sent in to me from Scott C on loan.

Pairing
Male had been inserted into the females encloure using the cupping method. She was in her tube web. The male walked acorss the corkbark and came upon the bark that the female resides on. She must have picked up his scent. She started drumming and the male sensing that walked towards her. She slowly approcahed him as well still drumming rapidly.

Once she touched his front legs, he advanced towards her rapidly hooking the fangs and proceded the mating with about 9 good insertions.

Once finished, I took the male out and placed him into his enclosure for future attempts.

Breeding: Successful

Here are some pics for viewing:

*********************UPDATE*******************
12-03-2005
She has laid an eggsack and is holding it today. I am going to leave her undisturbed.

********************UPDATE********************
Since breeding the sack had gone bad and she died shortly after.

Last edited:

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P. murinus

On 2/23/06 I purchased an adult female P. murinus for the purpose of breeding with my adult male. The female was placed into her own enclosure and allowed two days time to make herself at home. After this resting period the male was introduced to her.
The breeding went as follows:

3:23pm
Male inserted into females enclosure via cupping method.

3:37pm
After some coaxing the male finds the female's web. There is no drumming and he begins to tear a hole into it.

3:38pm
Female reacts to the male entering her web and calmly turns slowly to face him. Once halfway inside the male begins to hook the female's front legs and she complies. He then is observed drumming her underside.

3:40
The male makes his first insertion

3:42
Having mated the male slowly unhooks himself from the female and then does a sort of jump/convulsive spasm out of the females reach and proceeds to climb to the top of the tank where he is then removed.

2/26/05
2:26pm
Second introduction of the male to the female. This time he crawls to and over her yet she is unresponsive so he retreats. The male is then left to "co-hab" with the female for further copulation and ultimately, nourishment.

3/3/06
Males remains are discovered silked up between the glass and the females hide.

Last edited:

darkeye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Male received from Chris (ChrisNCT) on 3/21/06 - no history
Female in my care since purchased as sling on 9-10-03

Mating attempted at 8:03 PM 3-22-06

I arrived home after work to find my female OBT actually out of her hide. She has been hidden for weeks. I kept the male in a Dixie brand container as provided by Chris the previous evening. I added some substrate for him, but otherwise left him alone.

I placed both enclosures into a tall medium Show-Off. Lids were removed and the male moved from his enclosure toward hers. She began a light threat display and settled down. The male entered the enclosure and huddled briefly. The female made a slow move toward him, and he turned to begin drumming and stroking. She responded and several attempts were made before a successful round of insertions. This was repeated once again and I removed the male.

Temp: 71 deg. F
RH: ambient
Lighting: bright 4' flourescent

Pics:

Wolfy72

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pterinochilus Murinus .. Triple Clutch...

As many of you already know I have a rather large female Murinus 6.5 - 7 inchs.. no I'm not gonna post size comparison photo's cause she is hard enough to get pics of as it is, if you don't believe me then ..."Ok"....

Note.. All the dates here are speculative not exact....

Anyway......I bred her in/around Feb/March of 2006.. The middle of May she dropped an eggsac with a little over 250 fertile eggs... so we removed the eggs and I brought her home and proceeded to feed her up real good thinkin she would moult for me to breed again... right...... right...."WRONG" she had other plans in mind... for about a month she ate and ate and ate then about the middle of June I noticed her sittin on a second eggsac much to my delighted joy:clap: ,.. again I called the team at NYR since it was their male I used in the original breeding.... we promptly removed the second eggsac which ended with about 80 - 100 eggs some looked good other looked not so good... we ended up losing the entire sac :( .... So yet again I take my big girl home and proceed to feed her up... she of course eats like a garbage disposal for weeks and weeks all the while I'm searching for another male to breed her with after she moults.....again... I notice her abdomen growing rather large and bulky at first I say ok moult really soon,,, then I noticed her closing herself in yet again and thickening everything up really good,, I tell PinkLady.... she's gonna drop another eggsac who of course told me I was insane .... yet yesterday evening around 4 or so as I was checkin on her... sure enough there she was proudly sittin on her 3rd eggsac.... No moult in between , no further breeding in between... I called Marc_C from NYR to inform him what was goin on... he of course didnt believe me either.. until I arrived last night with my big girl in tow sittin there proudly on her 3rd sac.... we opened it up and saw roughly about 120-125 beautiful eggs all healthy lookin ......
So I think instead of feeding her up this time I'm just gonna wait awhile and see what happens,.. she's drinking lots of water and wandering about her tank lookin for somethin to eat im sure... I may feed her a little but nothin to extensive and see where it goes.. she still has a nice plump healthy looking abdomen on her and Im sure she'll eat....

I'll keep ya's updated on what happens.....

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
SAC PRODUCED !!!

Jan 10th -

Placed male ( only one bulb ) call him "Lefty" in large terrarium ( 20 gallon tall ), until he made a web tube & sperm web in a corner.

Jan 12th 2007- Introduced female to 20 gal.
- placed female's enclosure ( a large KK ) into the 20 gal. with top off.

Left them in there for threee days. checking on them regularly ( but mostly leaving them alone )
day one - female and male were still in respective places.
day two - no change
day three - male in female's enclosure female out and about
day four - male was found clinging to the top.. and not acting right.( euthanized )

April 12th - FOUND SAC !!!

more later :)

Nerri1029

Old Timer
Thought she ate the sac ...:8o

Turns out she only moved it to where I couldn't see it.

Separating slings now.. :eek:

I'll post later with the count.

:D

<added>
The total count is 77

"We'll name one Nemo.. the reast we'll name Nerri Jr"

Last edited:

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Pterinochilus murinus Breeding

Temperature: 81 Degrees F
Humidity:71%
Lighting Conditions: Bright

Male Pterinochilus murinus Info: 4 1/2" Matured Male is mine. Matured early March.
Female Pterinochilus murinus Info: 4" Female freshly molted in February.

After the male had made a sperm web, I placed him into the females enclosure. He immeditately started drumming and the female responded very aggressively drumming. The inserts were good and the male was taken out and mated later times with this female and other females as well.

Breeding: Success
Eggsack Production: Sucess
Eggsack Hatch: Success

Right now there are approx 120 little OBT's running around with an upcoming molt into 2nd Instar for seperation.

Here are a small series of pics showing the outcome:

Enjoy!

tacoma0680

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Breeding: Successful
I breed my female about 3 months ago and got her to drop a good looking sac which the slings are now crawling out of at this moment.

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Breeding: Successful on second female.

Eggsack: Successful hatching 91 babies.

Nerri1029

Old Timer
Second Pair - mating attempt - she ate him :( (was no chance of a rescue)

Success !!

Pulled the Sac 3-2-08

She was a juvi when I got her so this was her first sac.

Numbers will be low 30-40 I'm guessing.