Genus Holothele

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It is now official, we are at 2nd generation captive inside out communal tank... we did not introduce and "foreign" males, they matured inside the tank and mated with the females that were there.

Amanda found some little babies at the entrance of the burrow. The burrow is quite deep and filled with little guys. The female has been feeding them like the good mother that she is...

Here are the pics.

Martin

Attachments

sammyp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm really impressed with that set-up! Well done! How big is the tank? And are those Norte de Santander?

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Wow! Congratulations Martin and Amanda, thats amazing! What size tank is that, and how many adults do you have living in it? Very very cool.

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sorry, it is H. incei

The size of the terra is 36" long X 18" high X 13"wide

Unfortunatly we do not really know how many adults are in there, we would need to remove them all from the tank. So far we had about 6 or 7 males mature in there. But the females, I am really not sure...

Take care

Martin

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, amazing viv ! very nice communal project!, has it run smoothely or were there some things you would have done different?

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Gigus, the only thing I would have done if I would have been remotly intelligent is that I would have counted how many babies I originally put in there... ah well...

The rest went fine, we basically let it go as is, fed them once a week by throwing a bunch of crikets in there, cleaned the window once in a while, but basically have not much maintenance in it.

Take care

Martin

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well i'm sure someone out their has a eggsac waiting to hatch, i may try something similar with 5 inceis, What size were the T's whe you put them in?

Pyst

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Martin this has to be one of the coolest setups I've seen. Makes me want to try it....badly. Is that just a bunch of large cork bark pieces ? Very nice indeed.

-Mike

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Another question Tarcan, how long has it been since the sac was dropped in the tank till the hatching of the second sac?

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We put cork bark a lot of earth and some artificial plants.

We created the set up last year in July, the eggsac probably hatched a week ago as the slings are feeding

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
man that communal setup is awesome.any special lid on that so the slings couldnt escape?

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Syndicate... humm it is actually funny that you point that out... there is only an aquarium style lid on it and when I introduced the slings I did not think they could escape not being strong enough to lift the lid... well I was proven wrong as a few evening later I kept finding babies H. incei all over the place!

I taped the whole thing to make sure they could not escape and piled a bunch of dictionaries on the small lid, did not have any problem since then!

Take care

Martin

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
lol thanks for the reply!im loving your setup.must be great watching them all do there thing.

TheNatural

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wow, thats a very very nice set up.
Have you ever tryed any communal tank before with any other especie?

Congrats man!!

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The Natural...

No not really... the reason why I tried this one is that I observed them being quite "communal" in their natural environnement in Trinidad...

I tried once with C. elegans... ended up with a really fat one, but I had not put them in a huge enclosure, I had just put ten in a delicup... I will probably try again with C. elegans since I always have them in abondance.

Take care

Martin

SOAD

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
how big is she Martin? do you know the lifespan of h.incei?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So I take it that H. incei is a very communal species?? How many specimens do you think I could fit in a 10 gallon?