Ted's personal inverts collection.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
you might be talking about this:
http://encarta.msn.com/media_461530192_761578331_1_1/Darwin's_Hawk_Moth.html

its pretty neat, Darwin noticed that there were flowers that were a foot long, so he hypothesized that there must be a moth with a 12 inch proboscis because nothing else would be able to feed from and pollinate the flower. Most scientists at the time called him crazy, but lo and behold, look what exists.

edit: sorry that was so off topic, I didn't mean to try and steal your thunder ted. Your moths are absolutely incredible!. Where are they native to?

cool link..those are cool as hell...i read about that some time ago..purely fascinating.
and the atlas moths are native to southeast asia., also no worries..please feel free to post whatever you like..we share the forum.
I apologise that i hadn't checked back in this thread, and didnt see all these posts.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
very cool moth!would love to see more pics.
also darwin is a genius!thats crazy.nice link zimbu

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i hope you preserved the bodies.
indeed..i inject mine with large gauge needles with super glue gel in them.

Stunning! I've always favored moths over butterflies, and those beauties are just one reason why. Lovely, thank you for sharing.
much appreciated!

The biggest Insect is some kind of beetle.
it is contested, as to what the largest is..it can be measure by weight[mass], or length.
it is debated to a great extent.
i have both the megasoma acteon and large goliathus goliathus..and working on a Titanus, which are rare..here is a great link to a nice discussion on the largest insects.
http://ufbir.ifas.ufl.edu/chap30.htm

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
very cool moth!would love to see more pics.
also darwin is a genius!thats crazy.nice link zimbu
ja..i was saddened to see how many files i have to resize, everything i have is huge..and so the daunting task lies ahead..i've just been lazy, but i will post plenty more as i do that!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ja..i was saddened to see how many files i have to resize, everything i have is huge..and so the daunting task lies ahead..i've just been lazy, but i will post plenty more as i do that!
there are programs that let you resize groups of photos. also, with MSPaint i can resize something like 8-10 pics a minute if i am just converting them all down to 25% original size or whatever.

i can't wait to see what other wonders you have to show us!

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice Pictures, I use to get moth cocoons in every once in a while, Luna Moths, the smaller red one you had on one of your hands, and the big brown ones with blue eyes on their backs, Although I have lost the site that sells them, but they are very cool enjoy.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Where do you buy those and what do you feed them on? Are they available here in the US?

zimbu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
can't wait to see em :D:D

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
there are programs that let you resize groups of photos. also, with MSPaint i can resize something like 8-10 pics a minute if i am just converting them all down to 25% original size or whatever.

i can't wait to see what other wonders you have to show us!
cool!.thanks for the help..i am going to look into that.:)

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Where do you buy those and what do you feed them on? Are they available here in the US?
live ones are highly illegal,in the U.S...i wasnt supposed to have them..but could not turn them down when the offer came by me.
mine were eating privet bush..luckily we had lots of it here.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i get an error message saying that i have exceed my quota.
and the file sizes are well within limits..i think.[under 100k]
:confused:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i get an error message saying that i have exceed my quota.
and the file sizes are well within limits..i think.[under 100k]
:confused:
there is also a total attachment size limitation. i don't use attachments that much so i am not too familiar with the process... but i think you can have something like 5mb of pictures total, none of which can singly surpass 100kb

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
there is also a total attachment size limitation. i don't use attachments that much so i am not too familiar with the process... but i think you can have something like 5mb of pictures total, none of which can singly surpass 100kb
i figured it out..one just needs to use am image hosting site..like photobucket!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i figured it out..one just needs to use am image hosting site..like photobucket!
yeah, that really is best, especially if you post on more than one forum.

one bit of advice, which would REALLY apply to someone with so many different types of animals as you... figure out your directory structure before hand, so you can logically find the picture you want without having to sort through tons. cuz if you redo structuring you break all the old links and then all your old posts will have tons of broken image links in them

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah, that really is best, especially if you post on more than one forum.

one bit of advice, which would REALLY apply to someone with so many different types of animals as you... figure out your directory structure before hand, so you can logically find the picture you want without having to sort through tons. cuz if you redo structuring you break all the old links and then all your old posts will have tons of broken image links in them
i'm having a blonde moment..so bear with me..lol.
how do the links get broken ?.am not sure how that works!

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if you have your pictures organized one way (like inverts --> insects --> moth photos --> atlas.jpg) and want to change it (inverts --> handling photos --> atlas.jpg) and you have to change the address for all your links to photos. but that's not a problem when they're uploaded to AB, obviously

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if you have your pictures organized one way (like inverts --> insects --> moth photos --> atlas.jpg) and want to change it (inverts --> handling photos --> atlas.jpg) and you have to change the address for all your links to photos. but that's not a problem when they're uploaded to AB, obviously
ah, cool!
thanks!:eek:

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
going to start up with some Phasmids i had, years ago..they enjoyed eating my cactus blooms while getting their pics taken.:rolleyes:
notice the way they curl their tails like a scorp, lol.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:clap: awesome phasmids! and look at all of those BEETLES!! i'm in heaven,ahh love the fierysearchers and those tigers,that big black 1(tiger)is that ambyshiela(spelling)? wow very impressive collection! beetles i love em all.