Identify this spider for me??

darkness_falls8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Today I was sitting outside on the steps and looked over at one of the potted plants, it was covered in a nice amount of webbing with a tube going down inside the plant, I was curious.. so I took a piece of grass and gently touched the web and this spider dashed out and started attacking it, quite strong I should say as well. What kind is it??

Savvo

Arachnopeon
That is a grass spider for sure, but I am not sure of the latin name. I used to grow these guys in my backyard when I was a kid. Great fun to feed. Drop an insect on the web and it'll dash out and drag it down its funnel. I remember them growing pretty darn fast too.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't think that's an Agelenopsis sp. All the pictures of them I've seen look very similar to each other, and not very similar to that one. :)

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This looks exactly like the Agelinopsis that we have here in South Carolina-same web structure, same elongated spinnerettes(which distinguish them from their Tegenaria cousins), same markings and coloration. This one is a female, probably gravid, and that probably makes her look a bit odd since most of the members of the genus that I've seen were on the thin side.

pitbulllady