What's a bite like?

Nivek

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey everyone. Man, I bet that is the most stupid question to possibly ask, eh? "What's a bite like?" I bet you already want to slap me!;P Anyways. My question isn't necessarily that per se, but what a part of the bite is like.

When bitten, does the Typically pierce with it's fangs, choose to envenomate or not, and remove them? Or will the little guy chew and poke and prod like some angry monitors will? I've often wondered that.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey everyone. Man, I bet that is the most stupid question to possibly ask, eh? "What's a bite like?" I bet you already want to slap me!;P Anyways. My question isn't necessarily that per se, but what a part of the bite is like.

When bitten, does the Typically pierce with it's fangs, choose to envenomate or not, and remove them? Or will the little guy chew and poke and prod like some angry monitors will? I've often wondered that.
I dont know, you couldnt prove by me that any T can even bite a human lol

but i think it sorta depends on the T , some may dry bite and let go , some bite enenomate and let go, some hang on and pump a goo dload of venom some bite repeatedly...
but like i said i dont know for sure. Ask CacoSeraph he gets bit by lots of stuff lol

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Check the bite/sting reports forum. There are plenty of accounts in there.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
It depends on the species, specimen, and scenario of the bite. Usually they just bite and get back. But sometimes like an H. lividum will bite more then once. Some larger species will also try to bite and 'rip' skin with their fangs, causing more pain then the venom. Reflexes however also come into effect. It doesn't take a whole lot of awareness to pull your hand out of the way of a second bite.

Personally, I've been bitten by T's twice. Both times jabbed fangs in, and back out.

-Sean

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
It depends on the species, specimen, and scenario of the bite. Usually they just bite and get back. But sometimes like an H. lividum will bite more then once. Some larger species will also try to bite and 'rip' skin with their fangs, causing more pain then the venom. Reflexes however also come into effect. It doesn't take a whole lot of awareness to pull your hand out of the way of a second bite.
Personally, I've been bitten by T's twice. Both times jabbed fangs in, and back out.
-Sean
Have you experienced larger species trying to rip your skin? This sounds like a highly unlikely scenario. I've never seen nor heard of a T exhibiting that kind of behavior.

When a T bites a human, it is strictly out of defense, they do NOT see us as a prey item. I've witnessed them slap or strike and back out really fast, maintaining their defensive posture until the threat is gone. If the threat remains, the strike is repeated, but out of self-preservation, they continue back out very quickly. But I've never seen one actually masticate anything but prey. Since they are not planning to eat us, merely injure us, there is no reason to inject venom, masticate, repeat, etc.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Have you experienced larger species trying to rip your skin? This sounds like a highly unlikely scenario. I've never seen nor heard of a T exhibiting that kind of behavior.
Not myself, but I do know it happens. The bite is in self defense, and as opposed to just jabbing fangs in and out cleanly, they 'know' it does more damage by jabbing the fangs in, and 'ripping' them out, more of a chewing motion, its still quite quick.

-Sean

Nivek

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for all the replies. What's always worried me the most about being tagged is the danger it would pose to the tarantula. I avoid handling at all costs because of a phobia I have of hurting the animal. Good phobia to have, I guess. What are the odds of a fang being lost if a T bites us? (Sorry about asking question after question like this.)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for all the replies. What's always worried me the most about being tagged is the danger it would pose to the tarantula. I avoid handling at all costs because of a phobia I have of hurting the animal. Good phobia to have, I guess. What are the odds of a fang being lost if a T bites us? (Sorry about asking question after question like this.)
It's a forum, questions are meant to be asked!:)

The chances of a Ts fang breaking off when or while biting us I would say are slim to none, because they usually bite in and back off so fast. Some people don't even realize they've been bit till the venom takes effect. Plus they are designed to jab and tear into stuff.

Nivek

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A bite is like hugging an automatic stapler.

Haha, beautiful. Just beautiful. Do staple guns count? Been "tagged" a thousand times by those.

I've always been terrified that if a T bit me, it would lose a tooth. Glad to hear it's unlikely!

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Haha, beautiful. Just beautiful. Do staple guns count? Been "tagged" a thousand times by those.

I've always been terrified that if a T bit me, it would lose a tooth. Glad to hear it's unlikely!
I've actually never thought of that till you mentioned it. I have yet to be bit by a T, but I know as long as I'm in this hobby and I keep handling my Ts then it's inevitable, so the thing I'm most worried by is me flinging the T to its death from my reflex.

Nivek

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, that's scary as well. I doubt that I would have that reaction, really. I'm used to being savagely mauled by everything from geckos to parrots to do dogs to children (Any time I am anywhere near a child, it will bite me. I don't know why.) So I doubt there would be much shock factor. I imagine it would suck pretty bad though, seeing it prepare to bite and knowing you can't really do anything to prevent it lol! Tarantulas do have bigger teeth than most of the things I've been bitten by...Though, honestly, I'd rather be bitten that hit with uriticating hairs bad. I absolutely detest itching lol!

Syngyne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've actually never thought of that till you mentioned it. I have yet to be bit by a T, but I know as long as I'm in this hobby and I keep handling my Ts then it's inevitable, so the thing I'm most worried by is me flinging the T to its death from my reflex.
This is primarily why I haven't tried picking up Tonka yet. I don't want to toss her to her doom. :(

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Not myself, but I do know it happens. The bite is in self defense, and as opposed to just jabbing fangs in and out cleanly, they 'know' it does more damage by jabbing the fangs in, and 'ripping' them out, more of a chewing motion, its still quite quick.

-Sean
Cool. Who has it happened to? What species was it?

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Cool. Who has it happened to? What species was it?
Up here at a Reptile store in Ohio. T. blondi I believe it was. You can observe this with other large species as well, by having them strike a soft object, and observe the movements of the fangs.

-Sean

mikeythefireman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've been bitten twice. Both times by L. para slings. The very first day with my very first Ts. One bit and stayed there for a second learning what envenomation felt like from his perspective. The other bit and ran.

Mikey