Easy to breed Millis

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would like to try breeding millis, but I know some are more difficult than others. Besides A. gigas what other pedes have people had good luck breeding?

Thanks,
Rachel

millipeter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,
There are a lot of species which are easy to breed and very important - easy to raise. Here are some examples for some species, except A. gigas, were you can bet on getting them breed (under good conditions):

Mardonius parilis acuticonus
Spirostreptus gregorius
Spirostreptus hamatus
Telodeinopus aoutii
Spirostreptidae spec. 1 (tansania)
Anadenobolus monilicornis
Chicobolus spinigerus
Epibolus pulchripes
Narceus americanus
some Centrobolus species

There are several other species which were already breeded but in most cases is the stimulation for laying eggs a bit difficult or the raising/feeding of the juvenils in the first stages.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Great! Thanks so much for the list. Looks like I have a lot to choose from :)

Freddie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What to do with eggs? Just leave them in the terrarium? If I understood correctly from diplopoda.de (my deutsch is a bit rusty)... I'm getting few Epibolus pulchripes and looking forward if I manage to breed them. :)

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Apeuthes sp. Thai rainbow are one of the most easily bred. Did you get any millipedes since Aug.?

millipeter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
btw: Apeuthes sp. is Tonkinbolus caudulanus. I don't know who established the name Apeuthes, but the genus Apeuthes is distributed only in the indian region. Tonkinbolus resembles the beautyful species like the mentioned above and the vietnamese rainbow Tonkinbolus dollfusi (syn=Aulacobolus rubropunctatus) in southeast Asia.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Actual specimens were sent to Richard L. Hoffman (look up his name in millipede taxonomy) and identified to the genus Apeuthes. You don't even have specimens of even a photo but you can identify them better than a real taxonomist?

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I got some Apeuthes sp. :)
I want to get a few more. They're really pretty little pedes. I have them in some leafmold substrate with dried oak leaves. Are there any veggies they enjoy or do they mostly just eat dead leaves?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i collected up about half a dozen different local milli species and had babies from all the different major body shapes after a while

they are little as adults but i had 30+ in less than half a gallon so they were still quite entertaining to watch