Versicolor webbing/enclosure question

MasamuneX7

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is for anyone who has an A. versicolor or any arboreal T for that matter, in a tank with a top lid or sliding lid. Does anyone's versicolor always web towards the top of the tank including the lid? Everytime I open the lid (it's a sliding one), I end up destroying that part of her web, and she ends up re-webbing the lid a day later. Feeding is an issue since I can't open the lid without disturbing her. Since I got her last week, she hasn't eaten any of the crickets I've given her. She does not seem to be in pre-molt.

I figured that since I'm going to have a lot of trouble feeding and destroying her web this way, I better rearrange the tank. I had to destroy her previous web to rearrange obviously, and I set it up with a large piece of driftwood facing the glass. She's been hanging out in the gap between the driftwood and glass since yesterday, with no webbing.

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A. versi housing

I have my 3" A. versi in a gallon acrylic jar and with she has webbed along the rim and unscrewing the lid does not impact her web. It was suggested to me to use containers for arboreals "upside down" and i have begun doing this with each new rehousing.

This container is 4 X 4 X 7H and I used the lid for my substrate and glued cork bark and bamboo in the largest portion and drilled the holes at the top and 2 sides of it. Now I can just lift the larger "top" off to access the substrate and water dish and hopefully the T will be webbed in the portion I remove. :) Di

dragontears

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use little 1-3 gallon hex tanks for most of my avics. I cut the lid in two pieces and set up wood pieces to encourage webbing on one side of the lid only. That allows me to open the other side freely and they *usually* follow where I encourage them to build.

I just bought a 12 x 12 x 17 exoterra tank for my biggest female versi...we'll see if that works out for her.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
For our larger avics we use Kritter Keepers turned on their sides. We glue a barrier in place to keep in the substrate, and then using cork bark we make hides by using hot glue to glue a piece of corkbark diagonally across a corner in the back of the tank.
The use the bark as a hide and a base for their tube webs, we just open the small door in the middle of the lid, and add food and water without disturbing the T.