H. lividum behavior question

chaseewfahn

Arachnopeon
I was wondering if it's perfectly normal for her to be webbing up the opening for her hole. She comes out to explore for a while, stretch her legs, etc. then goes back into her hole and lightly webs up the opening as if she was shutting the door to her house. Just curious if this is perfectly normal behavior or if there's something behind this seemingly harmless act.

Thanks,
Phil

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Perfectly normal behavior. She could be setting "trip wires" for prey items. Whens the last time you fed her?

chaseewfahn

Arachnopeon
Just yesterday and I was actually able to see her eat for the first time rather than having crickets mysteriously disappear. Thanks for the reply.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just yesterday and I was actually able to see her eat for the first time rather than having crickets mysteriously disappear. Thanks for the reply.
If she blocks the burrow off completely with webbing or dirt a molt is probably coming up so that is when you would stop the feeding, but right now, she's probably just laying "trip lines" like I said earlier.

LimaMikeSquared

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My H.scmidti does that. She has webbed up the back of the burrow like a barrier, and then webbed up the top. I think it is protection, securing her home. She took a locust in her burrow last week and before she settled to eat after killing it, she took the trouble to 'lock the door' at the top of the burrow.