New Zealand Earwigs

Kevin_Davies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
These are fairly old pictures, will try to get some newer ones when I get a new camera, these are Anisolabis littorea "Giant Earwigs" that are native to New Zealand, and get to approx 3.5cm, not the largest species in the world, but one of them, and around 2cm longer than the European species, and much larger overall, I managed to hatch some of these last time I kept them, but hoping to have more luck breeding them this time.

Any members on here keep any Earwig species?

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:clap: wow very interesting insects,ive always liked earwigs,thanks for sharing

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
WOW, I expected to see some longer pinchers in back when I read "3.5". I like Earwigs too, they're just so small around here. I googled the largest a long time ago, can't remember the name of it and think it's from on an island(?). Last I read, they believe it to be extinct but weren't sure. I know some of you now what I'm talking about. Hope they find a few and breed them! That's a nice looking Earwig there in the pic. It's hard to catch "size" in a pic so I bet it's really impressive using one's own eyes.

Kevin_Davies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The Earwig your thinking of is the St Helena Giant Earwig, which may now be extinct, they got to around 8cm, another giant species is Titanolabis colossea, which is from Australia and gets around 5cm, apart from those I think these may be the third largest at 3.5cm (though im not sure?) compared to European Earwigs theyre size is quite impressive, but theyre usually rather slim bodied, so not amazingly impressive as a larger species of Insect.