Recommend a good scorpion

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok, ive been keeping T's for a while now, but I really want to get a scorpion as well. Ive kept more advanced T's (pokies, haplos, blondis etc), so Im not stranger to meeting requirements.

That being said, Im not going to go out and buy an LQ as my first scorpion. Heres what Im looking for:

Decent Size
Stinger rather than crusher (i want to see it sting the crickets it eats and such)
prefer desert (i just like the look of a desert tank more)
would like it to be visible sometimes (i know thats up to them, just something that tends to be more visible than others.)

I dont plan on holding it, I dont plan on taking it out ever except for cage cleanings and even then ill spot clean unless i need to clean it all out.

Any suggestions? Also when you reply if you could please just refer to those things i listed and how the scorp fits in? I really just don't want to rush into it without knowing anything about them really.

I've been leaning towards Hadrurus Spadix or Arizonensis, if people want to recommend which is better of those two, since i heard both can reach about 5" maybe 6" for large ones, and they sting but arent considered dangerous for a healthy (non allergic) human.

Last edited:

i_like_scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Your own recomendation for Hadrurus Spadix or Arizonensis would be perfect. Not significantly dangerous to you, desert species (less work too being desert speces; that's all I keep) and reach a good size. Personally I prefer H. spadix. Something about the color even though H. arizonensis is simular! Scorps usually just pinch their prey and begin eating it alive and usually only use their venom if the prey really puts up a fight and needs to be subdued. Either one is great though!

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
whats the difference between Spadix and Arizonensis? Heres what I've heard correct me if Im wrong:

Both are similar size but Arizonensis usually can grow slightly larger. ( 1/2 -1" more??)
Both have darker backs than the rest of their bodies, but Spadix is slightly darker than Arizonensis (noticeably)

Lastly does one seem to be usually more active than the other? I think that would ultimately be my deciding factor.

Thanks,
Bill

i_like_scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've never seen either get over about 5 inches. The biggest difference is H. spadix is much darker than Arizonensis on the mesosoma. Both are semi aggressive, both are medium fast runners, both have a medium growth rate and both are obligate burrowers which means you need to wet the sand when you put it in the enclosure and allow it to dry so that the scorp can dig its own burrow. I takes sand several days to dry even in the hot summer sun. My enclosures are about 10 gallon and it took about 5 days for it to fully dry. Of course you still need some hides made from chunks of bark, cork or flat rocks. Both are about the same when it comes to activity. All my scorps venture out during the daytime looking for food. My LQ is out right now hunting. Ironically they mine only actually catch and eat when it is night time except for the Paruroctonus boreus which also eat during the day.

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My 2 cents...
If u wanna see ur scorpions more often, then get a centruroides...
Hadrurus is cool, but its best u keep them by their own...or u might end up with them being alone...;)

Centruroides however are more communal. Just setup a tank, add a branch or a rock...and watch them hang out together...hunting together...and u get the pix.
I like to watch them sting their prey as they are the fastest at it. Size wise is not very interesting, 2-3 inches, but the excitement in them...priceless. They wud drag their prey up the branch or rock and i'd noticed many times, they like eating upside down...:D

i_like_scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very good point about the Cents! I think he's liking the size of the Hads though. Babycurus are a good one to for visibility as they like to be out on the dark side of verticle standing bark and will also catch and eat heir prey in plain view and upside down too! They have that gorgous red to orange color and are of lower toxicity and reach about 4 inches. While they like some rocks and bark for hides they are primarily arboreal which means the live in trees and plants. They would be a good option too!

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
im still thinking more like the Hadrurus, I really like the look of Spadix if its roughly the same size as Arizonensis and is just as visible.

How is that black sand for them, would that make them stand out and be really nice, or is it better to use natural looking sand. Also any caresheets (im gonna run a search right now anyway so basically things i might not find easily). Lastly can they climb the walls of a KK or should i not use a KK at all?

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
im still thinking more like the Hadrurus, I really like the look of Spadix if its roughly the same size as Arizonensis and is just as visible.

How is that black sand for them, would that make them stand out and be really nice, or is it better to use natural looking sand. Also any caresheets (im gonna run a search right now anyway so basically things i might not find easily). Lastly can they climb the walls of a KK or should i not use a KK at all?
I personally would have it in a 5 or 10 gallon set up with at least 5" of sand. And avoid calci or vita sand, accidently introduce moisture it becomes gummy and hardens and crystalizes on your scorpions. I had a A. a pallidus that looks like it has little specks of cherry orange hard candy stuck on it's legs.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
basic things like that is all i was looking for, everything else i learn i plan to search/ask to get the info needed, they seem to be pretty basic.

Im thinking Arizonensis is the one I'll get since it seems more common/cheaper, still not 100% sure though

i_like_scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Either species will be great for your first. As for the black sand there is quite a debate. It definatly makes your scorps stand out but since our desert scorps are kept at high temps, it is presumable that a heat lamp or light bulb will make the black sand much hotter than needed. I personally use sand from outside and have had great success with it and it's free! LOL I don't use glass tanks either. Personally I use the Rubbermaid containers with locking lids. The specific ones I use are 27 quart size (about 13" square). I drill air holes in the top of the lid and in the sides of the container for good air flow. They are kind of opaque but you can still see the scorps just fine. If you want a better look just take the lid off. That's what I do at night so I can just lie on my bed and watch them hunt and eat. Because I have some deadly species and because of my allergies and "accidents always happen" I keep all of mine on the floor instead of on a counter or shelf where they could get knocked off by accident or an earthquake, kids or other pets! LOL

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lol...
I place all of mine on top of a rack...sometimes, double stacked because i'm running out of working space, and the rack is at the end of my bed where my feet would be restin when i KO at night :D ...i even stack my rubbermaids :D Its starting to tower high

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Either species will be great for your first. As for the black sand there is quite a debate. It definatly makes your scorps stand out but since our desert scorps are kept at high temps, it is presumable that a heat lamp or light bulb will make the black sand much hotter than needed. I personally use sand from outside and have had great success with it and it's free! LOL I don't use glass tanks either. Personally I use the Rubbermaid containers with locking lids. The specific ones I use are 27 quart size (about 13" square). I drill air holes in the top of the lid and in the sides of the container for good air flow. They are kind of opaque but you can still see the scorps just fine. If you want a better look just take the lid off. That's what I do at night so I can just lie on my bed and watch them hunt and eat. Because I have some deadly species and because of my allergies and "accidents always happen" I keep all of mine on the floor instead of on a counter or shelf where they could get knocked off by accident or an earthquake, kids or other pets! LOL
you keep them in your bedroom ? :eek: :eek: ~~~~ PHIL

Lol...
I place all of mine on top of a rack...sometimes, double stacked because i'm running out of working space, and the rack is at the end of my bed where my feet would be restin when i KO at night :D ...i even stack my rubbermaids :D Its starting to tower high
and you keep yours in the bedroom ? :eek: :eek: ~~~~ PHIL

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I sleep within 5 ft of some of the most toxic scoprions in the world, all 300+ of them. I like listening to them scurry around after I turn the light out LOL

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have two metal shelves side by side beside my bed and can literally reach out and touch some cages. And two smaller terrariums on my dresser.

matt85

Arachnopeon
i sleep about 5 feet from some of the most deadly scorpions on the planet, but there in a climate controled closet. my collection is now Leiurus quinquestriatus, Hadrusus arizonensis, Androctonus australis, Androctonus bicolor, and a Androctonus amoreuxi. im hopen to add an Parabuthus transvaalicus soon.

as for good starter scorpion i would also recomend Hadrusus arizonensis or you can do like me, my first scorp was the Leiurus quinquestriatus. they are very dangerous, but fairly active and always sting when they eat which makes them fun to feed. the care requirements are super easy but do keep in mind to make sure they are very secure and always use tongs to reach into the cage. they are VERY DANGEROUS!