handable tarantulas

tin man

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
which tarantula would you guys recomend for safe handling?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Top 10 on my list.. in no particular order

Grammostola rosea
Grammostola pulchra
Grammostola aureostriata
Brachypelma emilia
Brachypelma albopilosum
Aphonoplema chalcodes
Brachypelma smithi
Aphonopelma hentzi
Avicularia avicularia
Avicularia metallica

Handling is never 100% guaranteed safe for you or the T. It also really depends on the individual Ts personality.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Eupalestrus
Avics
some brachys
Grammostola : Depênds on individual personnality

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
in theory all can be but remember that the disposition of your T can vary greatly from someone else's...... so be careful when following someones list and understand most dont recommend handling at all....

yet if there was 1, i would say G.pulchra... though my younger female would disagree with me lol, shes pretty defensive...now my older female is a doll and yes i handle her a few times a week....if you go on you-tube or some other sites you will probably see everything like i said can be handled, you just have to ask yourself if you want......

wayne

josh_cloud

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
all of them!

grammostola , brachypelma , Aphonopelma, then as you get better at it, psalmopoeus, Pterinoculus murinus, heteroscodra, and poecilotheria. i don't know much about haplopelma, so i can't say. handling wild animals is about confidence and attitude, wether it's a rattleanake, tarantula or a scorpion. anything can hurt you, and you can hurt it. it's all about choice. but with all choices, there are ramifications. whatever choice you make, do it with confidence and without fear, have fun! oh, i forgot about avicularia and chromatopelma are fun to handle too!
always test the t's mood with a paintbrush or similar object!

Last edited:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Like the two posters above me said... technically every tarantula is handleable, but for "recomended" and "safe" handling go with some of the species I listed earlier. Especially if it's your first time handling.

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pterinochilus is a safe bet. I'd also recommend Cetatogyrus and Hysterocrates.

pippa

Arachnopeon
Chilean Rose seem to be very easy handling; I have two and both are docile and one of them seems to really enjoy being handled. Maybe she likes the warmth from my hands.

Kohler

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Brachypelma albopilosum, Grammostola pulchra, Eupalaestrus weijenberghi, Avicularia avicularia...

tin man

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thanks guys, but so far I handle my Avic avic, G rosea, A. seemani

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
there is this one that walmart sells , sort of fuzzy and about 12" LS or so. that species comes in different colors and patterns as well as differant skin types.

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
someone has a mean streak!

Pterinochilus is a safe bet. I'd also recommend Cetatogyrus and Hysterocrates.
:embarrassed: Phormictopus cancerides too? No, no, not good T's to handle, unless you are pretty experienced and/or like being bitten. Bad Goomba! Go to your room! lol

jeffh_x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i miss my a. avic...sweetest thing ever...everytime i let it walk all over me, it jst hides under my collar and stays there...awesome indeed

never owned the infamous g. rosea before though

Lucara

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I would have to say that I am most comfortable with holding my G. pulchra but as everyone else said it also just depends on what your T's personality is. I loved to hold my T. blondi because he was such a sweetheart but I definitely wouldnt advise you going out and picking up the first on you see. Just get whatever T you like the most and go off of its dispostition and hopefully you get a calm one! Lol :D