Never handled my T's before

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
These are two of my tarantulas; Tom (B.smithi) and Margot (G.rosea). I had never handled them before and had not got any plans to. When I had a think what I would do if they ever escaped I thought it would be a good idea to handle them and try to get "a feel" for handling T's instead of just looking.

It might not be a big deal for all you Pokey handlers out there, but I am super-pleased with myself:cool:

Sorry about the blurry photos by the way, it's difficult when your girlfriend is nervous around them even when they are IN the tanks.

ahkiu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi m8 well done :)

it's quite a thrill handling them for the first time when you aren't familiar with them.

i think you are right that you should be familiar with handling them and have the confidence incase something happens in the future which might require you to do so :)

ps. i'm from ocUk too :p (hsp70)

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh yes, Lopez and Lostkat got you a T from the BTS show didn't they? How is it?

ahkiu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i haven't seen it much recently as it hides a lot :)

but a couple of days ago i just sat there watching my b.boehmei moulting in the dead of night. that's proably the most exciting spider thing happening at the moment :D

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Good Job,;)
You won't see any pics. of me holding my hair kickin B. smithi's
Nice pics.

Ern

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Good job, SI. It's quite a rush holding a big spider.

Dario

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
congratulations. :) it took a lot for me to hold my G. rosea 3" but it was really satisfying when i did.

i love holding my little slings, especially the 1 1/2" curly, he's such a sweetie.

well done.

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrT

You won't see any pics. of me holding my hair kickin B. smithi's
Nice pics.

Ern

Yeah, my B.smithi started kickin' a few hairs off so he was on my arm for a few seconds and then went back. My G.rosea was quite happy though and walked around for 5-10 minutes:)

Last edited:

Pyrdacor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congrats, I loved it when I first handled my B albopilosum. Quite a thrill and she was such a sweety too. BTW, is that the keepers guide behind you :) ?

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It is the T keepers guide. Next time I will make sure my T room is a bit tidier;)

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I handled my 4.5 inch L.Parahybana for the first time today it stood up on its tippy toes and acted like he didnt like me so i put him back in his tank what does it mean when they stand on there tippy toes like there getting pissed or something?

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Nice looking Ts there si_sleaf. I have the same two species right now. I don't handle mine much, so it's a real heart-pounding thrill when it happens.

Is Tom a mature male? I can't tell from the photo. If he is I have a horny mature female B.smithi up near Leeds that would love to meet him. Ask Tom if he could ever get turned on by drumming with a Yorkshire accent.

Last edited:

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Luther, I don't know if Tom is male or female yet. I've had a good look at him/her and think Tom is female after a good look at the underside and a read of the T keepers guide. Whatever Tom is, definitely not a mature male. I will try to put a picture up one day this week when I can so that some of the superbrains ;) can take a look.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I never realised Tom was so big :)

Are we getting pics of you Pokie-wrangling next week then? ;)

si_sleaf

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lopez

Are we getting pics of you Pokie-wrangling next week then? ;) [/B]
Yes, my kevlar suit and teargas are on order. Expect to see pictures when they and my girlfriend's lion tamer outfit finally arrive. ;)