My Ball Python

BigSam

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Today when I went to change my ball pythons water I noticed that my female(Pati) was "whistling". I heard that when they whistle they have respiratory problems is that true?? If so what do I do to get rid of this problem??

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
whistling snake...

A whistling noise in a snake means respiratory problems. Sometimes when really bad it will be accompanied with bubbles being blown through the nose. Leading causes of this in snakes such as Ball Pythons would be not enough heat and too much moisture. There are several other causes as well but these two are more often than not the culprit. 1st step would be raise the heat and see if that helps but if it persists you need to get then snake to the vet as respiratory problems usually don't go away on their own and can do the snake in. Sometimes raising the heat will straighten them out but if this doesn't work within a few days it's vet time for sure.

Phil

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Okay, that's one sign that may point to a respiratory infection. Open her mouth with a paper clip, gently. Do you see any mucus or bubbles coming out of her windpipe (where the tongue comes out)? If so, she most likely has RI. If not, the RI may be in its early stages, as indicated by the whistling. What are the temps and humidity in the cage set at?

Make sure you have the correct temps on her warm side. They should be in the 88-90F degree range. Drop the humidity just a little, to around 60-65%, keep the humidity as stable as possible. If you don't already have them, use a thermometer and a hygrometer (humidity gauge) for accurate measurements. You may need to take her to a herp vet for antibiotics. Here's a site to find a herp vet in your area, there's quite a few in Arizona. ARAV

Bry