The Worst Thing That Could Ever Happen.... Happened!!!!!

peterspiderling

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok, i went to work and had a <edit> day from the off, by the time i finished i was tired and hungry, it was a very nice night with the sun seting and no cars or noice, so was walking home slowly breathing in the cold fresh air. half way home my mobile rang, i thought it would be my girlfriend ringing to see where i was, cos she trying ringing my house after work. but it was my dad, "hello dad" then the news "pete, theres been a huge bang in your room and spiders are everywere!" my heart sunk, i ran home bursting though the door so find my mum shaking with fear, my bro was allready on the case, grabing stuff to put over them once we found them. i went up sters and opened the door to my room, the shock was not nice at all! all i could see was mud, broken cages and a shelf that was now on the floor. but no sign of any tarantulas, at that point i didnt even know what tarantulas were on the loose. i stood around and tryed to think what tarantulas were on the shelf, then a redknee ran across the room, to i put a pot over her for the time being, then i remembered, there was a redknee, salmon pink, green bottle blue, goliath birdeater, togo starburst baboon, OBT, and 2 chilean roses, one male one female that is gravid! so the hunt was on, 3 hours later i found them all, all fine but 2, the slmon was a bit broosed, and the togo was dead! cruched by the corner on the shelf landing on her. luckly the gravid female rosea was fine and only fell about 2" and landed on another tank, my female onramentals tank. so she was fine! thank god![/B][/B]
i took these pics to show you, you can see the corner on the shelf on the floor, the togo is under it, and it wasnt even her tank, it was the redknees, thats how much of a mess things were!!!

you can see the yellow toped cage on top of a tall glass cage, thats the female rosea!

the shelf resting on the togo!

this is once we found all the tarantulas and removed the shelf!

glad she didnt get out, she was really pissed off that her cage got landed on:D lol

well... all is well now, all the tarantulas are in new cages and eatting again :D once they have all settled in my mind and moved my room araound a bit to make room for a table, not a shelf, these to love birds will be trying to get it on :D

so hopfulling a happy ending to a freak incident :?

pete :D

Last edited by a moderator:

DrGigglez666

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Very sorry man i hate to get peat moss or dirt on the floor. I know i would of panicked more if that happened to me i feel for you though hope everything is ok.

darkeye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Boy, that sucks.
I guess my only real question is ...

"Why did the shelf fall in the first place?"

Sorry about the dead.

Martin LaBelle

Last edited:

peterspiderling

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I guess my only real question is ...

"Why did the shelf fall in the first place?"

Martin LaBelle
i dont know, there is a wait limit and i was in the limit by a long way, so i dont knwo why, bad luck really :?

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
man thats bad and i am sorry you had one killed :( you did well to get them back in to the tanks lets hope things get better soon for you and your ( ts ) :) ~~~~ PHIL

KingBowser

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Had a similar thing happen when I had several lizards. The cage that I had several juvenile iguanas in fell over and busted a 55 gallon along with a 30 gallon chameleon cage. The room was an absolute disaster. I feel your pain but at least most of them made it alright. :)

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sue your carpenter! Even if its you!

Anyway nice room though. Glad all is ok.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:( ah man that sucks! sorry for the 1 that didn't make it,glad the others are fine,boy if that happened to me,it would'nt only be the ts loose,but ive got venomous centipedes,scorpions also:eek: ooooh don't even want to think about it.

pippa

Arachnopeon
Sorry about the loss, perhaps the shelf wasn't anchored into a stud?
Keep smiling!

harrypei

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
oh man, must be a big mess to clean up...glad to hear that the loss was not as huge.

peterspiderling

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ah thanks for everyones suport :D i was only hoping to make people check there shelf and add a few screws to be on the safe side, i know i did! :D

pete :D

JColt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Man thats bad! Sorry about your loss. Great pics though!

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry to hear about that,glad the majority came out ok :) . You might want to consider a free standing shelving unit,thats what I use and it works really well.I got mine for $55.00 at home depo.They even come with mounting gear to screw them to the wall for extra security. I live in Alaska were we have the occasional earth quake so I have to be real carefull about that kind of thing. If you would like I could post a pic.

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This sure is a time of a sadness for you. Please accept my condolences, Pete.
This is oen reason I never keep my pets on shelves - I use a tv stand without the tv. Large terrariums on top, smaller inside. I can even close the door to keep the cat out of the stand when necessary (which isn't an issue now as there is no cat anymore).

Calucifer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
that's HORRIBLE. If that happens to me, my mam will burn my room with me INSIDE it.
Sorry about your T's

pd: dawn of war, good game :D

Calucifer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hahaha. I love Warhammer, no matter what game is it.
Anyway, how did your parents deal with this situation?