Water or Calcium Jelly

harleyhunter

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OK I see everywhere on the web different info. I have a shallow watering dish for my new emp scorp. I was gonna put straight water but pet shop girl told my its a drowning risk. She sold me this green jelly in a jar that is supposedly better (calcium suppliment I believe) and safer. What is your opinion? I says its originally for crickets drinking needs.

-Sam

kharmakazy

Arachnopeon
I've read that emps will actuall bathe in th water if you let them. I think drowning risk is minimal. Mind you... wait until someone more knowledgeable than me tells you that before deciding.;)

HufnPuf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my emps typically get their moisture from their food...my habitat is nice and moist all the time (80% humidity) and i never see them drink from their water dish...

i think you are right...that gel stuff is for crix...IMO, wild caught scorps arent going to be chowing down on green gel-where is green calcium gel found in the wild?

harleyhunter

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As far as I know my scorp is captive bred. I bought from pet store. Thanks for the opinions guys. Keep them comming.

-Sam

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
scorpions dont need calcium suppliments, in fact, excessive calcium can break down the chemicals that harden the chelicera(mouthparts) and cause them to become brittle, or to fall out while this is an extreme scenario, the fact remains that calcium is something that should be relatively low in a scorpion's diet, and definitely does not need to be supplimented. In addition, emperors DO bathe sometimes, enjoy the humidity provided by evaporation from a body of water, are more than capable of drinking free standing water, and are incredibly unlikely to drown in water, unless they are there for some time, as scorpions can hold their breath for a loooong time. Try doing a search for this topic, as it has been discussed many times.

John

Rosenkreuz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As long as you provide a slope at one end of the water dish so they can climb out, your scorpion isn't going to drown. My P. imperator bathes herself regularly in her water dish, and I've caught her drinking out of it at night. The gel is for feeders, so that THEY don't drown in the water before you're able to feed them to the scorpion.

i_like_scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree with everyone else. Crickets easly and reaidly drown in water so they developed the gel for them. I have 9 scorps and all of them have standing water to drink and I've never had one drown. Some of mine are only 1/2" long and they are fine!

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I agree that they will not drown, unless you have a dish 5" deep with straight and smooth walls. I had a 20 gal L tank setup once with a 12" x 6" x 4" partition that was filled with water, it had a rock slope in/out, my emperors loved to fully submerge themselves from time to time for about 3 minutes. I went with different setups later on and just put in the typical 1.5" deep dish and they still loved the water and could easily get out. Below are a video and two pics that will testify to this.

[YOUTUBE]7O30pd7sJcI[/YOUTUBE]

harleyhunter

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OK water is back in the bowl and jelly in the cricket cage. Thanks guys!! BTW awesome video!!!