Just got first T chilean rose hair....Advice for new T owner?

AaronP

Arachnopeon
Hello everybody,
I was just given a 5 year old chilean rose hair (female i will post a pic later this week if i make time) .

This is my first tarantula. I have placed her in a 10 gallon . Her substrate is coco fiber bedding . I compressed it to make her a fairly hard surface. she has a hide and a small piece of grape vine that she sits on ocassioally. I have a small ceramic water dish for her and wet the soil every other day or so . She is in my living room and stays around 80-90 during the day and 75-80 at night. She CHOWS the roaches I feed her, leaving the rements of the carcases in one particular corner of her cage.....dubias, small madagascars and some turkistan reds just for entertainment. She is eating 3-7 roaches every week depending on size.

If any pro T owners would like tell me what is right and wrong about my T set up or post a link to good c. rose hair T care page. Please do. I am open to suggestions and up until this little girl ( very cool and docile {D ) I have never had a T before and want to make sure i am doing ight by her.

Thanks
Aaron

pinkytoe

Arachnopeon
Hello everybody,
I was just given a 5 year old chilean rose hair (female i will post a pic later this week if i make time) .

This is my first tarantula. I have placed her in a 10 gallon . Her substrate is coco fiber bedding . I compressed it to make her a fairly hard surface. she has a hide and a small piece of grape vine that she sits on ocassioally. I have a small ceramic water dish for her and wet the soil every other day or so . She is in my living room and stays around 80-90 during the day and 75-80 at night. She CHOWS the roaches I feed her, leaving the rements of the carcases in one particular corner of her cage.....dubias, small madagascars and some turkistan reds just for entertainment. She is eating 3-7 roaches every week depending on size.

If any pro T owners would like tell me what is right and wrong about my T set up or post a link to good c. rose hair T care page. Please do. I am open to suggestions and up until this little girl ( very cool and docile {D ) I have never had a T before and want to make sure i am doing ight by her.

Thanks
Aaron
There's a sticky thread that is full of valuable information on rosehairs :p
One note though... g. roseas like it really dry, so I wouldn't mist the soil. She'll get all the moisture she needs from the water dish.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have placed her in a 10 gallon .
That's really, really big. She'd be fine in less than half that. The important part is that you're going to have to use a LOT of dirt to make this a safe enclosure: the distance from dirt to ceiling should be about equal to the legspan of the spider, but no more than 1.5 times the legspan. Falls can easily be fatal.

wet the soil every other day or so
Don't do this ever.

Other than that and feeding WAY TOO MUCH, you're doing fine. Two crickets every week or every two weeks or even every month is plenty. So depending on how big the roach is, it's probably as big or bigger than two crickets.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Okay, first off as already stated, you are feeding WAY to much. One to two large roaches a week is more than enough food.
Do not mist or soak a rosehair, they hate moist substrate!!! Provide a water dish, keep it full of clean water and that is all they need.
A 10 gallon is a little big for a T that rarely moves, but what the heck, my first ever rosie was put in a 10 gallon and is still there. She has lived there for 2 years and is quite fine. She has a large hide and water dish so there is plenty of room for her to sit completely still in the middle, which is what she does.
Welcome to the addiction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
alright congratz! there easy 5 gal tank w/ peat moss/vermaculite or the bed-a-beast coonut mulch will do, atleast 3-4 inches some cork bark or ne other hiding thing a water bowl food lol dont use heating pads/lamps that will dehydrate them quick and keep em out of direct sunlight and if it's a female youve got a pet that will last you 7-12 years lol

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=5292
read that

as for age... i have received a power grown captive hatched male that were mature in under two years. tack on another year of life after that and you just saw a three year lifespan. but... i also have some spiderlings i hatched that i am barely feeding. they are right around a year old and they can still stand on my pinky nail. those suckers, i am expecting at least ~20% to reach 50+ years old. i hope my kids or nephews or something like bugs. heh.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
and they can be nuts i have 2 one is a N.C.F. and the other R.C.F. my ncf is nasty :eek: and my rcf is carrying its water dish on its back around its tank right now :? :? :confused: LOL ~~~~ PHIL