Sterilite Containers

R.W.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Can I use a sterilite caontainer for my G. rosea and other terrestrial Ts? (B. smithi, B. albopilosum). What should the size of the container be if I can?

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yes you can. the size depends on the Ts size . shoe box size should suffice for those

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
haha if not for sterlite, I wouldnt hardly have any cages LOL.
I like the sweater box size which I believe is 16 quarts.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, those things are great. There are many different types. I like the ones called "show offs" because the plastic is a little clearer and they have latches on the lids. I still put a rock or book or whatever on top of the biggun's' tanks but it seems better to me than a plain pop-off variety. Thay're still less than $5 which is great. Also, types of sterilites are the only off-the-shelf solutions i've found to give haplopelma's, chilobrachys and the like the good 10"+/- of subby they apparently prefer.

There is this large (i think it's like 9 gallon) round trash can type sterilite that i keep pre-mixed substrate in. It's about 16" round and maybe 24"-30" deep. I think it would be neat to see if a deep burrower would utilize this depth to the fullest. Maybe in a couple years when my C huahini get's big enough i'll try it...

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I use steralite containers as well. Work like a charm! I use the 20qt containers with the snap on lids.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I use steralite containers as well. Work like a charm! I use the 20qt containers with the snap on lids.

Do you weight them down or use straps or whatever to prevent escapes? They don't seem secure enough to me as is. Maybe i'm just overly paranoid of waking up with a 5" E murinus' palps in my eyeballs at 3:00am.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Do you weight them down or use straps or whatever to prevent escapes? They don't seem secure enough to me as is. Maybe i'm just overly paranoid of waking up with a 5" E murinus' palps in my eyeballs at 3:00am.
Nope I leave them it as is. None of my Ts could open it, not even my big 7" wandering mature male L.parahybana. THe only thing that has ever escaped from these containers was a 8-9" S.subspinipes "mau chau". :eek:

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yowch! "Everybody wear your boots indoors until we find this thing!"
haha seriously! :wall: Good thing my dad spotted it walking around the living room! He even picked up a container and caught it, and then placed it on my desk waiting till I got home. :clap: Sadly this pede has since passed on .. RIP big fella.