tarantula wont molt or eat

xxxmagicxxx

Arachnopeon
hi I'm new on this site so go easy with me

i have a female curly haired tarantula which i have had since 2004 when she was 2 years old.

The problem is she has not molted and doesn't want to eat anything

she normally molts regular every year in march/april. It's now september and i am worried also she hasn't eaten for over 3 months.

i cant see any fungal spots or any bald spots on her

please oh please some one help me

any help or advise would be greatful.
thanks

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Tarantulas can go years without eating.

It's probably just in premolt. They aren't machines or clocks, sometimes their natural cycles are just longer or shorter, especially if they're getting older (slings molt all the time, adults rarely) or aren't being kept overly warm.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well... not to be a smart alec but she's probably getting ready to molt. As they get older the molts get farther apart. Full grown adults can go several years between molts. Some people new to this hobby may not realize how long lived and slow growing some species (like yours) are. How large is your curly from front toe to opposing back toe? A 2 year old b albopilosum (curly) would be pretty small. Like maybe 3" tops i believe.

Anywayz, it sounds like the molt is coming soon. Just keep the waterdish full and make sure not to leave any uneaten food in there for more than a few hours. You don't want a cricket making lunch out of a soft, rubbery spider.

xxxmagicxxx

Arachnopeon
thanks all

how long could a molt take to come on, could i be waiting a long time?

have you ever waited long from one molt to another?

spartybassoon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have a female curly haired tarantula which i have had since 2004 when she was 2 years old.

So it's about 5 years old or so? If it has been regularly molting every march/april, that's when it should be molting unless you are powerfeeding and/or keeping temps much higher than normal. Otherwise, maybe she's just fasting. Or waiting for something more delicious. Like prime rib :D

Hope she starts eating soon!

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If she hasn't eaten in 3 months i'd say it's probably close. Think maybe another month or so,maybe tomorrow.
You can tell when the molt is very close because the skin you can see through their abdominal hairs darkens to black. Also their colors get noticably
less brilliant.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
how long could a molt take to come on, could i be waiting a long time?

have you ever waited long from one molt to another?
We can guess, we can estimate, but there is absolutely no certain sure answer. These are tarantulas, after all, and they do things when they feel like it, on their own time, and not a moment sooner. It could be a month or it could be a year.

It's all about the patience and the zen with these guys. Relax~ it'll happen~ when the stars are right~ :D