Species Encyocratella olivacea (a.k.a. Xenodendrophila gabrieli)

The_Thunderer

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow. She's really beautiful.

I can't seem to find much info. on this spider - even on Google. Could you tell me something about them (ie. temperment, max size, habitat).

You've really got a looker there. Congrats!

Taki F&T

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah I've been wanting one for a while now, can anybody please tell us more about it :)

jean-manu

Arachnopeon
Hi,

A very interesting species, here mine, I did not find a spermathecae in the moult, thus, I think that it is a male...:p :D

BR,

J-M

david goldsboro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,

A very interesting species, here mine, I did not find a spermathecae in the moult, thus, I think that it is a male...:p :D

BR,

J-M
this is 1 of 2 speices of tarantula that tha female dont have a spermathecase and can store sperm though a moult so you wont find one presant in a moult so you could have a female i had to sex mine ventrally 3 females 2 males ,

J-M Belley

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi David,

I know a little bit Jean-Manu from another forum and I think he was jocking. He is probably able to know if his specimen is a male or a female just by a look to the uterus externus (I think).

J-M Belley

P.S. Jean-Manu you got an amazing specimen, I am a little bit jealous

If it's a male I hope you will find someone with a female

Good luck

jean-manu

Arachnopeon
Hi,

David, thanx for your infos but it was a joke, I know that the 2 mygalomorph species without spermathecae are Encyocratella olivacea and Sickius longibulbi. :)

Jean-Michel, it's nice to see you here, fore sure, if this specimen is a male I know somebody who have adult females, but I think (and I hope ) that it's a female.

Syndicate, thx for your comment but I didn't recognize you :8o :8o , can you pm me and let me know who are you...

David VB

Arachnosquire
Hey folks,

I currently have 3 of these (T-sitting them for a friend till end of june) but i know little about this species. I know they don't need much heating and prefer being in a dry enclosure, but he asked me to try to make them pair if they got adult... So, is this a species that is getting big? Coz they seem pretty small, so i'm not sure if and when they get adult. The male just began to make some webs outside his hiding place, could this be a sperm web? He also told me these are pretty defensive so i'm not fond of replacing them, but i guess i have to to take the male to the female. The 3rd one is still a sling btw.

Balvala

Arachnosquire
Hey folks,

I currently have 3 of these (T-sitting them for a friend till end of june) but i know little about this species. I know they don't need much heating and prefer being in a dry enclosure, but he asked me to try to make them pair if they got adult... So, is this a species that is getting big? Coz they seem pretty small, so i'm not sure if and when they get adult. The male just began to make some webs outside his hiding place, could this be a sperm web? He also told me these are pretty defensive so i'm not fond of replacing them, but i guess i have to to take the male to the female. The 3rd one is still a sling btw.
Here is a review of its inhabited region: http://www.baboonspiders.de/files/Raab.Timo.2005.Presumptive.habitat.of.Encyocratella.olivacea.pdf

As far as size is concerned, E. olivacea females can reach an adult size of around 13 cm. whilst males may mature at around 9 cm. They are fairly defensive tarantulas, however that's to be expected with most African species within the Harpactirinae sub-family.

To save me some time in typing and refraining from essentially plagiarizing, take some time to scroll down through this page to gather some more information pertaining to ideal keeping methods: http://tarantulas.tropica.ru/en/evolution/Stromatopelminae/Encyocratella

David VB

Arachnosquire
Thanx for those links, will certainly read through them ;)

Here's my little one (other ones are in hide) :

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
I just got a sling of this species myself. They are supposed to be very similar to the OBT in terms of behavior and overall habits.

E olivacea Critter edit 3.jpg

Here he is.

Anyway, enjoy the video!!

Plese Exotics

Arachnopeon
E. olivacea

Here's one of my three juvenile Encyocratella olivacea just before a rehouse. They are truly a beautiful Harpactirinae!

E_olivacea.jpeg