Droplets coming from mouth

sviau

Arachnopeon
I occasionally observe some droplets of liquid hanging from the mouth of some of my Ts, is this "spitting up" or might it be venom?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have seen it as well, and I suspect it is residual fluid from cleaning and or feeding. I have no way to confirm that though. I am actually waiting to catch another one doing it so I can check it out under a microscope maybe that will give a clue.

Anyone else every checked that fluid out under a slide? If so what did you find out? :confused:

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had a similar situation with my G. rosea. She would just "drool" this clear liquid. It would come out slowly, drop by drop. I heard from a few other members on the boards that B. albopilosum will do the exact same thing. Some tarantulas (I'm not sure if all of them do, but they must be able to) secrete a clear fluid they use to groom themselves with. My G. rosea "spit up" a little bit on my shirt while I had her out and crawling around the other day :rolleyes: Hope this helps! :)

-Sarah

4thGEN

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i know its not a T, but my hadogenes paucidens was doing the same thing last night. freaked me out. some say its part of the moulting process? here is a pic.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It seems to me ALL my Grammostola do this. Usually after a big meal. It looks like drool. The dropplets seem to appear after grooming. At first I was freaked out about it. Now I just consider it normal T behaviour.

Ryoga

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Tarantula mouthparts include a very fine filter; as I recall, it filters out particles larger than a micron. Micron sounds pretty small to me, but that's what I recall reading. Anyway, I always assumed that they were backflushing the filter to clear it of debris.