Should I be worried?

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just bought a mature female P.imp for Cyris to mate with.

I put her into Cyris's tank and observed them for 15 minutes as soon as Cyris came out of his hide to see what was going on.

He begun to shake like a beat, shake - still - shake - still - ect...
He then approached her, and did the mating stance for about a minute but without moving back and forth and around the tank(I wasn't intending on mating them then) then she tried to get away and then they started to brawl.

Stingers going crazy(no successful strikes) then I moved each to a separate hide, I have 4 hides in my tank.

They immediately when under their own hide.

Now, I left for the movies. I remember reading somewhere that they might fight then get over it and become acquainted and no longer fight.

Well, I just returned from the movies and my friend said, "Kevin, look." It seemed as though Cyris was dead. I was like F*&$.

He looked like one side of his body was crippled and had then died.
So I took off the lid and went to touch him and he just came out of it with break-neck speed and went under his hide, which She aka 'Rose' was staying.

I was like crap now he is going to get killed so i lifted the hide up and they got real close together as if for protection so I lowered the hid back down and through in 3 crickets and Cyris came out and ate one then returned to the hide.

I'm going to go back in there around 1-2 AM and see if they come out.

Was Cyris faining or is he hurt? He seemed fine after I touched him and lifted the hide and blew lightly on them.

Should I expect more fighting since they chose the same hide, being communal?

If they do mate, will she eat him? I don't want that to happen.
There are no flat rocks in my tank.

If they do successfully mate do I need to separate them? How can I tell if there aren't any flat rocks to check for sperm?

Thanks for any info.

Links are fine too.

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
some times my scorps feighn death till i touch them then they run and hide... it's normal, and for the fighting your right they do fight till the know each other and some times they do that before/ after mating and some times when they mate it looks like there fighting...as long as you keep every one fed you shouldnt have a prob...ive got 3 in a 5 gal tank and they never fight over space or food or any thing... maybe im just lucky?? lol

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great news, I have two in a 10 gal. However I have my two 3rd instars in there too but they are in deli containers.

I will make sure they are well fed and watch them carefully for the first week.

Thanks for your reply and insight.

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If there isn't a flat rock for them to mate on they won't/can't do it.

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great, then I will wait.
Now, if he tries to mate with her even then will she kill him?

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great, then I will wait.
Now, if he tries to mate with her even then will she kill him?
It's unlikely she would attack him until she is in a later stage of gravidity. Towards the end of which she will become more aggresive and possibly attack or kill/eat him.

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the insight and reply.
I was reading on The Venom List that after mating she will atempt to eat him unless he can get away.

So I will just have to put them in a seperate container for mating then after its finished put him back in his tank and leave her in the mating tank for a day then reintroduce them? Is that fine?

I'm sorry for asking so may questions I have searched around this board and other and not found everything.

Once I get a good P.imp knowledgable head on my shoulder I will stop and help others.