largest prey item taken

whitehaze2008

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok so here is the deal.
My prized mature female versicolor has been breed...its been about a week now. And her feeding has like X4
She is eating anything that i drop in there for her to eat.
Today i was out in my yard lookin for bugs to feed my T's (please spare me the insectiside lecture my house is on 13 isolated acres and i dont use pestisides), and i saw a HUGE flying grasshopper.
This thing had to be at least four inches long, and about half a inch in width, i mean massive.
I caught it and through it in with my girl, who was still eating two large crickets.
Then about ten min ago i hear this huge crunch. It struggled pretty rough with her, but it got me thinking...
Whats the largest prey item anyone has feed there avics? has anyone feed a pinkie?
Isint it true the more the female eats while preg the more eggs she will produce?

anyway just a cur thought i guess.
Thanks
DAVID

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well I feed my females a lot when I have bred them, BUT But I do not feed items that my girls would have to struggle with. You do understand that the grasshopper could have kicked hard enough to hurt your tarantula right?
Larger does not equal better. And feeding more does not mean more eggs just more nutrition for egg production.

TarantulaLV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have fed an adult pigeon that came in my garage. The battle was legendary!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
About as serious as the boogie man and the tooth fairy. He's just yankin ya around.

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
he said he "fed an adult pigeon that came in my garage" not that he fed it to any thing... i take it he actually fed the bird

TarantulaLV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
he said he "fed an adult pigeon that came in my garage" not that he fed it to any thing... i take it he actually fed the bird.
Ding Ding Ding Ding......You got it!! :D

TarantulaLV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Seriously I have had no luck feeding pinkies to the Avicularia Genus. I have had luck with other species though at this stage in the hobby I shy heavily away from feeding vertebrate to invertebrate. :)

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've not fed Any of my Avic's pinkies, I dont see them as wanting to take it...I think the Largest route I've taken with them is a pretty good sized hisser Proally 2" or so...And mine munch those down pretty regularly...

I HAVE fed Small Rats to my T.Blondi's...But even that is like a "treat" and doesnt happen but once in a blue moon :D Pretty cool to watch though... Of course the Rat is pre-killed just to eliminate that confusion ;)

Rathkeaux

Arachnopeon
the first G. rosea I had back when I was little ate a number of large prey items. I caught a moth with about a 5 in wingspan one time, and she ate that. She also had about a ten minute epic battle with a 3in prey mantis, as well as gobbling up about 3 other T's (common texas t's that I caught here). My current G. Rosea ate a 4 in skink the other day, I'll have the video up soon, she actually went after it and it separated it's tail so she was eating that when the skink ran back in front of her and she dropped the tail to hit it.

skink vid:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6BhAY2PvEw

Last edited:

whitehaze2008

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do Not Feed Skinks To Tarantulas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I Feed A Blue Tailed Skink To My Gbb Adult Female And She Died Within 24 Hours.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rathkeaux

Arachnopeon
mine's doing fine. not only that but my first one used to drink Cream soda and she lived for 14 years in my care, and I got her when she was already an adult.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I currently have a P. regalis and P. cambredgei that are feeding on adult lobster roaches which are equal to (or slightly bigger than) their legspans.

It's really cool to watch. They have no problem eating them at all...just a flash of legs and the roach is gone. A food bolus in the corner a day or so later.

I wouldn't reccomend feeding them prey items this large. This is a preliminary trial for a behavioral study I plan on running later with a large number of spiderlings.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My old room mate made a mistake and gave a rat fuzzie to my 4" rufilata. When I figured it out, she already dragged it in its hide. Next day she looked like a tractor towing the Goodyear baloon!!!