found an egg sac in my rose hair's cage

adirondacker

Arachnopeon
I am pretty new to the whole process of caring for a rose hair egg sac as I have only had my rose hair 1 month... a week ago my rose hair baracaded herself in her cave and today finally came out...... I wasnt sure what she was doing in there for so long....worst case senerio I thought she died.... but today she came out and I shined a light in the cave to see what she had been doing and found a huge egg sac in the cave... she immediately scurried back into the cave and covered the sac..... I am not sure what I should do to care for this sac... should I remove it from the cage and put in another cage....or do I just leave it in the cage w/ the mommma....my daughter said she read if I leave the sac in w/ the momma... then she will eat the babies..... any info on how to care for this would so greatly be appreciated... I was not prepared to care for babies as I am new to the whole spider pet thingy lol...

penny'smom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It seems to be that time of year for roseas.

I have no sac experience myself, so I am hoping others who have will jump in here.

You could leave it with Mamma for a while, but take great care to leave her alone if you do. Don't worry about feeding her, just make sure she has plenty of water in the dish. Females are known to eat the sac if disturbed too much. I know someone who, when his first rosea layed, looked in with a flashlight. He awoke the next am to find her eating the egg sac. :eek:

I'll let someone else tackle the task of removing the sac from Mamma's tank. :?

The good thing, is that roseas seem to be one of the Ts that lay lower numbers of eggs. I've seen it ranged 175-225. There are Ts out there that can lay over 1,000 eggs!

adirondacker

Arachnopeon
sweet....... thanks so much for the info and advice...... I am so excited... I'm going to be a grandma {D .... will keep ya updated....

Weird_Arachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am pretty new to the whole process of caring for a rose hair egg sac as I have only had my rose hair 1 month... a week ago my rose hair baracaded herself in her cave and today finally came out...... I wasnt sure what she was doing in there for so long....worst case senerio I thought she died.... but today she came out and I shined a light in the cave to see what she had been doing and found a huge egg sac in the cave... she immediately scurried back into the cave and covered the sac..... I am not sure what I should do to care for this sac...
Sounds similar to what happened to me. I thought Pandora was molting, but no, it was a sac. I gave it away though.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow another one.. What is this like 3 in a 24 hour period?

For a first timer, I have heard advice to keep it with the mom for like 2 months I think. Or 1 can't remember, hopefully someone will tell you.

After that you take the eggsac out and incubate it for the remainder time, rotating the sac.

This thread has some of the best info I have seen yet, kudos ryan!
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=99695