The Worst T

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Which would you say, in your OWN personal experience has been the worst T you have kept. Looking at this more from a Aggressive/Defensive view point.
Who would you crown the Devil of all T's? And Why??

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Which would you say, in your OWN personal experience has been the worst T you have kept. Looking at this more from a Aggressive/Defensive view point.
Who would you crown the Devil of all T's? And Why??
In my view it is my T. Apophysis that has the baddest temper here in my apartment, but she is not hard to keep. My obt is a pet rock in comparison to her, i can almost pad her abdomen and she just sits there and accept it;-) okay, maybe not!! but my apophysis wins the price lol

The_Thunderer

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, I don't have an apophysis, but I do have an OBT and BY FAR, it is the "worst" (at least in context of this thread) of my bunch. Haven't had my H. lividum very long though.... LOL.

My OBT will rear up, fall on its back and continue in that posture until you leave the room... and even then, it waits.

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know, so far my A. geniculata has given me serious attitude (tagging the stream of water that's going into her water bowl is her favorite activity, besides kicking hairs as she runs all the way to her hide) but I'm gonna have my hands full with my Old World species when they get bigger!! {D Oh joy.

-Sarah

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I only have 5 t's, but I would give my vote for the A. Seemanni. He has some psycho back flipping threat postures.

blue fang

Arachnopeon
I would have to say it's a toss up my citharischius crawshayi or my haplopelma lividum.

Rydog

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would say either my irminia or my geniculata....both bad tempered. All my pokies are well manered just REALLY fast.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A defensive T is actually a plus for me. I love the attitude. They, IMO, are much more entertaining and rewarding to keep, so I don't really have a worst T. The one with most attitude would have to be one of my Ceratogyrus sp.

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My irminia is kind of gentle.. More shy and skittish.
But I love all of em, even the seemanni. I will even love the OBTs and pokies I see in my not too distant future.. :rolleyes:

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My most defensive spiders are my P. murinus and C. crawshayi, they are about equally nasty. That said, I've seen multiple videos of people handling OBT's without getting tagged(not saying I condone this type of behavior), but never seen someone handling an adult C. crawshayi, or an adult S. calceatum, for that matter, and I'm not sure I ever will.

Last edited:

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
My B.bohmei. It is a nasty piece of work by far the worst hair kicker I've ever had and literally just looking t it will set it. Just touch the kk to feed or water will set it off and it is very skittsh.

Next is my S.calceatum is second because of its unpredictablity. opening to feed has casued to either run and hide, just sit where it is at, throw a threat display, run for freedom or attack either the tongs, water or cricket as they are put in. Though usually tapping a bit will cause it to hide allowing me to do whatever I need to easily.

Kmatzy1228

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my little mithi has quite a temper. They are not normally like that. She is just probably scared, but she runs all over the place and kicks hair everywhere. Lovely personality though.

chandlermonster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have an OBT sling right now and it's really fast but not mean... yet.

By far the "worst" T I've ever had was a Thai Black (Haplopelma Minax I think). It would threat if you walked by in the room and when it was feeding time it would wait and ambush you. The goal was not to escape, it would actually run up the tongs and strike, then run back down into its tank. EVERY TIME. It got seriously old after a while. I ended up creating a double door contraption to let crickets out and keep the T in.

tinacouch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My worst T would have to be my H. lividum. Out of all my T's, she is the one that would "eat me" if she got the chance.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most of my T's are pretty calm, even the OBT's. All will end rearing a couple legs after somne bothering except perhaps my Avics that simply cover their eves with their (pink) toes and cry: "Don't hurt me please!!!"

The one that is outwardly aggressive is my juvie apophysis. Whew!! That thing goes all the lengt of its enclosures in a wink to attack anything that moves air whatsoever. I dubbed it the "Face Hugger".:D

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Although my H lividum and E murinus both throw feistier threat displays, the A geniculata has actually struck at the tongs (or whatever i'm grabbing w/ them at the moment) much more. She's more easily controlled though (slow) and it seems not as likely to jump out of the enclosure.

I like the feisty behavior tho so i don't consider it a negative.

On second thought, the most aggro behavior i've ever seen wasn't from a t at all but from a red trapdoor spider. When out of their burrow and feeling threatened like in a rehousing, they are unbelievably mean. I've not seen aggression remotely approaching this from any tarantula. I thought it was ok when i cupped her but as soon as i took my hand of the cup she struck it hard enough to flip the 4" cup through the air. She continued striking all around at the slightest vibration for several minutes, striking even at empty air. Flying Fangs of the Fiercest Fury!!!

Last edited:

The_Thunderer

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
On second thought, the most aggro behavior i've ever seen wasn't from a t at all but from a red trapdoor spider. When out of their burrow and feeling threatened like in a rehousing, they are unbelievably mean. I've not seen aggression remotely approaching this from any tarantula. I thought it was ok when i cupped her but as soon as i took my hand of the cup she struck it hard enough to flip the 4" cup through the air. She continued striking all around at the slightest vibration for several minutes, striking even at empty air. Flying Fangs of the Fiercest Fury!!!
OOOOO! Makes me want to check them out now!! LOL.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Agreed. {D

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, thanks everyone.
For me I would have to say my OBT is the worst for now. He/she is about 3"+ and very FAST and defensive. If I try to open the enclosure, he runs to the top of his webbing near the lid. I have to be extremely careful with this one when it comes to feeding time. Luckily I read up on them alot before I got em.
Then there are my H Minax slings. When I first got them I was rehousing and one of them showed me just why they are called 'The Devils Helper'. Gave me the threat pose and just stood there. This sling was around the 1" mark so at the time it was more cute than scary for me. This was the first time any of my T's gave me a threat pose. They are very quick though. It took longer getting them into their new homes than the OBT's, although I was much more careful with the OBT's cuz I've seen their speed. I call them Lightning in a Bottle.
My H Livi and C Craw are still small so I don't see them much.