tarantula book

Arachnokid 93

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was wondering if there is some kind of tarantula dictionary a large collection of tarantulas in one book. if you know where i could get one please post.

Thanks,
Arachnokid 93

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not that I have ever found, and I have looked. I did read somewhere that someone was working on something like this.It would be nice to have something like that on here.Some of the more experinced keepers could do write ups and I am sure alot of folks could contribute pics.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Do you men in terms a listing of species? Do you just want images or a some other sort of information?

Here is the image gallery on John Hoke's E-Spiderworld, it has the scientific name, common name and brief snippet.
http://www.e-spiderworld.com/gallery/index.htm
Also Rick West's Birdspider site has an extensive gallery of images
http://www.birdspiders.com/archive_Tarantulas.html

Two books I know that info and pics but only on the most popular species are
Tarantulas in the Vivarium: Habits, Husbandry, and Breeding and Tarantulas and Other Arachnids

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
there are a few good books but they are in german

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
there are a few good books but they are in german
I heard about those also. Kinda rediculous not to publish something like that in English.Probably there way of snubing there noses at us yanks.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
.....*sigh*....
Out of all the books we have; The Tarantula Keeper's Guide by Stan & Marguerite Schultz is still the one most often used.....

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
"tarantulas in the vivarium"-peter klaas (german but great pics)

"tarantulas and scorpions in captvity"-russ gurley

"vogelspinnen"-louwerens, jan nederrof, gijsbert kortekaas (dutch but great info and pics)

"tarantulas today"-tinter,andreas

wayne

PhilR

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I heard about those also. Kinda rediculous not to publish something like that in English.Probably there way of snubing there noses at us yanks.
God forbid that other nationalities should publish books in their own language :eek:

Obviously designed as a snub to Americans, who invented English. Oh wait a minute.......... :p {D

There are some German books that have been translated. Tarantulas in the Vivarium: Habits, Husbandry, and Breeding by Peter Klaas is a good example. It was originally published as Vogelspinnen im Terrarium: Lebensweise, Haltung und Zucht :)

Phil Hall

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Considering the level of grammar in your post, I find this tirade to be unreal......:?
Or were you being uber-ironic?
:)

problemchildx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Considering the level of grammar in your post, I find this tirade to be unreal......:?
:clap:
I am actually going to purchase the Schultz's book hopefully soon. It will probably be the only one I get too :) Thanks for a great book you guys.
And if I touch up on my Deutsche I will get Vogelspinnen :8o

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
God forbid that other nationalities should publish books in their own language :eek:

Obviously designed as a snub to Americans, who invented English. Oh wait a minute.......... :p {D

There are some German books that have been translated. Tarantulas in the Vivarium: Habits, Husbandry, and Breeding by Peter Klaas is a good example. It was originally published as Vogelspinnen im Terrarium: Lebensweise, Haltung und Zucht :)
It was a joke ! relax :cool:

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes Phil, I was being uber-ironic . :) It was only a joke.There are many people on this forum from many places, and it was not my intention to offend anyone.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Another couple EXCELLENT texts which I highly recommend, though not in English, are:

Verdez, J.-M. & F. Cléton. 2001. Mygales – Élevage & Découverte. Philippe Gérard Éditions, Bornemann.

Rafn, S. 2005. Fugleedderkopper. Forlagat Atelier, Dyssegård

Eric

PhilR

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It was a joke ! relax :cool:
I know. So was mine :)

Another couple EXCELLENT texts which I highly recommend, though not in English, are:

Verdez, J.-M. & F. Cléton. 2001. Mygales – Élevage & Découverte. Philippe Gérard Éditions, Bornemann.

Rafn, S. 2005. Fugleedderkopper. Forlagat Atelier, Dyssegård

Eric
I have the Verdez/Cleton book and it's fantastic. Some of the pictures are brilliant.

Not seen Mr. Rafn's book yet :)