Munching on the guts:

Scolopendra subspinipes dehaani "Mai Chau"

Looking for a biting spot:

Yummi!

Some remains

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I can't believe how much those things eat. It's really amazing. Nice pics!

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It looks like you used prekilled mice for feedings, well done I prefer that to the sensationalized killing of live rodents by these wonderful animals.

nissan480

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
feeding vid

This is my vietnamese yellow leg named charlie,and his first mouse.These are graphic,but show how much they can really eat.

This vid was started about 4 seconds after first contact,or bite.

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f...yellow leg/?action=view&current=Video0010.flv

This is what was left.I couldnt believe how much he ate....and I feed him every week

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f...yellow leg/?action=view&current=Video0013.flv

This pede,at the time was around 8-8 1/2 inch's

PhilK

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Seems like a lot of food wasted... Why not give him a smaller mouse so he finishes the whole lot?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Great pictures, and that is intense, but awesome! I can't wait to get some more pedes! Stupid bank is taking forever..:wall:

JonathanF

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The mice I gave it are prekilled, actually they're frozen- some snake-food remains ;) That's why I gave them adult mice and not pinkies.

Also, these aren't so young- both are about 15-16cm (around 6") BL

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Does anyone know if live mice can be induced into a state of shock by centipede envenomation?

Or that shock quickly follows mechanical damage and bodily trauma via the centipede's feeding parts?

Just curious and food for thought.

And Jonathan --- awesome pics!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Does anyone know if live mice can be induced into a state of shock by centipede envenomation?

Or that shock quickly follows mechanical damage and bodily trauma via the centipede's feeding parts?

Just curious and food for thought.

And Jonathan --- awesome pics!
i fed live pinkies a couple of times (once for sure, maybe 2x) to S. subpinipes and it took for freaking ever for the mousy to die. i only feed prekilled to everything now cuz i wasn't comfortable with the level of suffering the mouse had to endure. and we are talking a 7" BL viet... pretty beefy centipede

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i fed live pinkies a couple of times (once for sure, maybe 2x) to S. subpinipes and it took for freaking ever for the mousy to die. i only feed prekilled to everything now cuz i wasn't comfortable with the level of suffering the mouse had to endure. and we are talking a 7" BL viet... pretty beefy centipede
Yeah, I wouldn't want to hear the squeeks, squeels, and hapless rassling. But it would help the conscience if I knew whether or not the mice felt real excruciating pain or simply reacting to mild strange discomfort and the distress associated with being held by 21 pairs of legs.

Well take a shot to the kneecap or belly, they say it is excruciating yet body trauma can and does induce shock that acts like a pain suppressor. And even curious if the venom on a smaller creature such as a mouse overload it's pain receptors and nerves that the brain is not receiving these messages anymore, that is in a state of shock or something similar.

rex_arachne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
beautiful, and savage, feeding photos Jon.
btw, do large centipedes prey on small rodents in the wild?

PhilK

Arachnolord
Old Timer
If it was in a state of shock it wouldn't be squealing, squeaking and rassling around. Erego, it does not undergo shock and feels every bit of pain.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If it was in a state of shock it wouldn't be squealing, squeaking and rassling around. Erego, it does not undergo shock and feels every bit of pain.
and having just been bitten (well, envenomated at any rate) but a subspinipes this saturday (and still not over the bite 100% this wednesday morning) i can assure you it is a fairly vomitous amount of pain

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
and having just been bitten (well, envenomated at any rate) but a subspinipes this saturday (and still not over the bite 100% this wednesday morning) i can assure you it is a fairly vomitous amount of pain
Hahahaha, you've been envenomated the day after i did :). Mine was by a 3'' specimen though and i have totally recovered.

phil.

nissan480

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Caco,have you made a bite report on the subspinipe's yet.Very interested to hear about it.

Also,visually it only took a few seconds for my yellow leg's poison to kill the mouse.It gasped for air,and that was it.First time ive seen any of my pede's use poison.

Last edited:

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
beautiful, and savage, feeding photos Jon.
btw, do large centipedes prey on small rodents in the wild?
They're opportunistic predators, I imagine they eat just about anything that doesn't eat them first if hungry enough. I have seen pictures of them eating wild lizards and snakes.

Well, it was a thought. Body trauma can shut down messages of pain to the brain and so the body doesn't register the pain anymore. But yes, shock usually means a complete shutdown and lack of response.

Sounds fun, please post a bite report. Are you vomiting? Any systematics besides alot of pain? Anyways, please take some pain medication and hope you get well soon buddy!