My tarantula has been soaking her abdomen for a week...any ideas why?

shammus

Arachnopeon
I posted originally a few weeks ago under a subject heading of "rust-colored spots on abdomen". What happened was, my Honduran Curly-haired tarantula who is 15 years old at least suddenly developed reddish/rust colored areas on her abdomen that almost looking "bloody" in nature. Those stayed there about two weeks. Then about 10 days ago, the reddish areas changed to a real dark, navy blue and the abdomen appeared to decrease in size significantly. The abdomen still remains a very dark blueish-black color. I was thinking she might be getting ready to molt at that point. However last Monday I found her sitting directly in her water dish with her abdomen partially submerged and she has not budged since then. I keep the tank misted so I know she can't be dehydrated. I have not given her a cricket in a couple weeks though. In her weakened state, I figured the cricket might start nibbling on her and she wouldn't be able to fend it off. I'm kind of surprised she's still alive at this point but this whole process has been really odd. Never seen anything like this. Any ideas what might be going on with my spider? Thanks in advance for any input or ideas....

Brian

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If those spots on her abdomen are hard like bits of rock, they may actually be calcified fungus, in which case you are keeping the enclosure too moist. Is there mold or fungus anywhere else in the enclosure? Look hard and be honest, because if not, I've no idea what those are.

penny'smom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you think she's hungry Brian, you can always pre-kill the cricket to erase the fear of it hurting her.

Why the booty in the dish though...I don't know what to say about that part.

butch4skin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Anyway, there is no reason to mist to keep that sp. from dehydrating, just keep the water dish full. Sometimes constant misting can do more harm than good.

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a few T's who will sit in the water dish for a week or two before a molt. From the sounds of it she is getting ready to molt. Any chance of pictures?
I agree that you should stop misting her as the increased humidity isn't required by that species.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have a few T's who will sit in the water dish for a week or two before a molt. From the sounds of it she is getting ready to molt. Any chance of pictures?
I agree that you should stop misting her as the increased humidity isn't required by that species.
This is also my experience, I have several T's including my B albo. which soak their bodies for days on end prior to a molt, however, I have no experience regarding the potential of fungus on any T.

I agree on trying to feed her, if she does not take it, then let her be.

Good luck
PIG-

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is also my experience, I have several T's including my B albo. which soak their bodies for days on end prior to a molt, I PIG-

You do know that is not normal right? :?
I have have plenty of b. albos and never had one "soak" it's body in water before a molt.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You do know that is not normal right? :?
I have have plenty of b. albos and never had one "soak" it's body in water before a molt.
Normal or not, she has not had any problems molting, and she is in pre-molt now. I got her as a freebie less than a quarter inch, and is now at 2" and eats like a Pig- My other T which I have seen soak is an A seemanni, he is now about 3" and last molt spent several days in the hot tub just prior to a molt.

Now in Jersey in the summer, the humidity is HIGH, and I hardly mist in the summer, unless its a sling in a pill vial which tend to dry out quickly.

I can't explain this behavior, but on several sites, I have seen folks post that they have experienced this behavior.

As long as the T is healthy, has no problems molting, eats on a regular basis, then by all means soak away.

This is my big soaker, My Boy Blue

PIG-

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Interesting............ I still don't think it's normal, but it's very interesting and seems to have no ill effects. I just can't think of any of my Ts that would sit in water of their own volition ever lol.
Nice looking T you have there.

elyanalyous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my G.rosea does that too, and she will throw a temper tantrum if I don't refil the dish too...

Cocoa-Jin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just a wild guess. Perhaps its an attempt to wash something away from the book lungs. Debris, parasites, irritants, etc.

When our respiratory systems gets irritated we secrete mucous, our nose's run, etc. Maybe they cant do that, so instead of snot to flush their system with, they use water.

Or perhaps its away to absorb moisture, the book lungs are a direct pathway to the blood stream(if osmosis is possible) maybe its hydrating the reproductive organs, hydrating the area that holds/stores sperm in the female, maybe its washing out bad sperm deposits.

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my G.rosea does that too, and she will throw a temper tantrum if I don't refil the dish too...
Yeah, Rosea is supposed to like their substrate dry and the air not too humid. But my adult (?) rosea spends her time hovering over or beside her waterdish. In fact, she's been sitting over it for months now. Problably over a half year.

cristal7901

Arachnopeon
My B. albo also will sit in the water and just groom him/herself for hours. dipping each leg several times and cleaning it. then will put the legs in again to clean the body. Not sure on the spots tho

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Interesting............ I still don't think it's normal, but it's very interesting and seems to have no ill effects.
How can you judge what's "normal". We know very little about natural behavior in these creatures, I'm sure behaviors even vary geographically amongst the same species. Most of these species we recognize in the hobby have been familiar to us for less than 20 years. Even if we did know everything about natural (wild) behavior captivity always changes the rules.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How can you judge what's "normal".
Maybe I think that way because I have kept 100's of brachys and other T's and never seen this behavior. That is why it seems odd to me, still does, but as I stated it seems to have no ill effects so no harm no foul right?