Tap Water Okay?

LordofScorpions

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well I was wondering is tap water okay, for drinking water for my scorp?

Also why does it seem to be evaping so fast, I like filled it last night and now it all gone, she can't be drinking that much.

Last edited:

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Normally it should be ok with tap water. But that depends on how clean your water is (i.e. not over the top with chemicals).

Most oft when the water dissapears magically it has a way of draining out of the dish, for example when a bit of substrate leans into it or similar.

emmille

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Most oft when the water dissapears magically it has a way of draining out of the dish, for example when a bit of substrate leans into it or similar.
yeah, it also puzzles me before when the water disappear quickly. i later reallzed that the spaghnum moss is partially dipped into the dish which absorbs the water...

K3jser

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some countries have clorin in they drinking water, if this is the case, do not give it to your skorps then you have to use Bottled water.. i use a large bottle cap for drinking dish for all my skorps and that seems to be enouch for them all, from H. longimanus to B. arenicola so they dont use so much, so bottled water wont be so expensive to use for it

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Some countries have clorin in they drinking water, if this is the case, do not give it to your skorps then you have to use Bottled water.. i use a large bottle cap for drinking dish for all my skorps and that seems to be enouch for them all, from H. longimanus to B. arenicola so they dont use so much, so bottled water wont be so expensive to use for it
The chlorine will leach out into the air after a week in an open container, so let it stand. As far as a large bottle cap goes, it is probably good enough for drinking but the emps and Hets I've owned love to have deep dishes to submerge into from time to time.

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I use tap water al the time. If you are worried about chlorine, all you need to do is out water in a container and let it stand for a couple of days to get rid of chlorine.

PhilK

Arachnolord
Old Timer
We have chlorine in our water, and all my inverts are misted with it and drink it. None have died from it, or really suffered any ill-effects.

TheDill

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
no matter where ur from i would not recommend using tap water..use bottled water...u no thats clean :D

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ive got five large emps, and have never seen them drink the water i provide.
i am assuming they just dont drink water.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ive got five large emps, and have never seen them drink the water i provide.
i am assuming they just dont drink water.
Drinking...

& Bathing! :D
[YOUTUBE]7O30pd7sJcI[/YOUTUBE]​

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i wonder if they drink because they don't have the proper moisture in the substrate or humidity?
mine seem to be fine, but never drink water..nor show any interest in water.

:?

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i wonder if they drink because they don't have the proper moisture in the substrate or humidity?
mine seem to be fine, but never drink water..nor show any interest in water.

My tank setups are mostly all false bottom setups, my humidity is 90% minimum so it's not that. They all (my tropicals) will go into the water dishes and bathe if possible. Try it with yours, put a deep water dish in and see if they go for it. Disclaimer: Use common sense not too deep so as to make it impossible to get out.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My tank setups are mostly all false bottom setups, my humidity is 90% minimum so it's not that. They all (my tropicals) will go into the water dishes and bathe if possible. Try it with yours, put a deep water dish in and see if they go for it. Disclaimer: Use common sense not too deep so as to make it impossible to get out.
i have always had sunken water dishes for my inverts..mainly for humidity level.
in all these years [27+ years of keeping inverts] i have never seen them drink once.

TheDill

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
emps love water man..they love to bath..and they drink like fishes!

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
any ideas as to why mine never have?
:confused:
I used to work the night shift and would get home between 1:00 am and 5:30am the wee hours of the morning is when I mostly saw them active out and about. Maybe they are drinking when you aren't looking. :D

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I used to work the night shift and would get home between 1:00 am and 5:30am the wee hours of the morning is when I mostly saw them active out and about. Maybe they are drinking when you aren't looking. :D
lol..not very likely..I'm checking all the time..and am up about 19-20 hours a day.
these four waking hours are usually 3-7am
you would think that once,at some time, in all these years i would have seen them drink.

the odds that i have had the only inverts that wont drink are fairly slim.:p

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re:tapwater

It is true that chlorine evaporates out of the water if it sits out for awhile, but...there is also chloramine which doesn't evaporate.. I have land hermit crabs and the tap water conditioner I use for their drinking/misting water removes both.
"Chloramine is commonly used in low concentrations as a disinfectant in municipal water systems as an alternative to chlorination. This application is increasing. Chlorine (sometimes referred to as Free Chlorine) is being displaced by chloramine, which is much more stable and does not dissipate from the water before it reaches consumers. NH2Cl also exhibits less tendency to convert organic materials into chlorocarbons such as chloroform and carbon tetrachloride. Such compounds have been identified as carcinogens and in 1979 the U.S. EPA began regulating their levels in U.S. drinking water. Furthermore, water treated with chloramine lacks the distinct chlorine odour of the gaseous treatment and so has improved taste."
Does it affect our scorps? I dunno but apparently it affects herit crabs. I boil water and then let it sit to cool. This is what is use for my Emp.

PhilK

Arachnolord
Old Timer
TED: every scorp is different? Maybe yours just don't feel the need. It almost sounds like you're trying to say they don't because you haven't seen it. But they clearly do, as the photos and video show.

Not having a go at you of course mate.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
TED: every scorp is different? Maybe yours just don't feel the need. It almost sounds like you're trying to say they don't because you haven't seen it. But they clearly do, as the photos and video show.

Not having a go at you of course mate.
no..thats not what i meant, just to clarify.
i just thought it was odd that in twenty something years of husbandry i never have seen a scorpion, or tarantula, or pede,etc, drink.

and since i am up almost 20 hours a day, i thought i would have by now.
although every scorp is different..none of mine ever have as far as i know.

and i am just hoping to find out why..there has to be a reason.