Finally! Some breeding pics of Heteropoda venatoria

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok. I finally got the pics uploaded so...
I'm not gonna post all of them but here's just a few to give the general idea. They do exhibit some very different breeding behavior than Tarantulas.

First, the male obviously picked up on the female pheremone and began vibrating very rapidly with his entire body. (Couldn't capture the vibrating of course but if you shake your head about while looking at this pic you'll get the idea.:} )

Attachments

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
After a bit, he gained the confidence to approach the female. She didn't seem at all bothered by his presence. (He did know the password after all!;) )

Attachments

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
After a slow approach, he just climbed right on her back facing the opposite direction and began meticulously grooming focusing mainly on his palps.

Attachments

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's the underside view. The male is still busy cleaning his palps. You can also see that he's got a secure grip around the female.

Attachments

Last edited:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The oddest thing we observed was how the male would raise all the bristles on his entire body as he searched for the female genital opening. You can see that he's just about to reach his left palp around between the females abdomen and ceph.

Attachments

Last edited:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
After that, he would repeat the ritual in the same order but with the opposite palp. Cleaning the palps, raising the bristles, insertion, relaxing the bristles, and again. He kept this up for almost 90 minutes. Here's the underview, bristles raised.

Attachments

Last edited:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok. Last one. His right palp is engaged and there is a visable drop of sperm on the underside of the females abdomen.

Laters

Atrax

Attachments

Last edited:

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Heteropoda Breeding

Well done!! Excellent breeding Gary!! Great pics man!!

Alex S.

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wow! What an excellent photographic documentation. Thanks.

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I intend to breed the Heteropeda Malaysians when they get larger....<fingers crossed>

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks guys. And good luck Johns with breeding the Malaysians! I really really need to get a hold of some of those!

Later.

Atrax

Totenkopf

Arachnopeon
I'm new to Arachnoboards because I've trying to ID what I believe is a female Huntsman. Last week, I e-mailed the pics to "Sheri" (another of the Arachomoderators). She checked with someone else on the BB (maybe you?) & got back with me, advising it was a Huntsman. Can I e-mail them to you also? No harm getting a second opinion........

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Totenkopf said:
I'm new to Arachnoboards because I've trying to ID what I believe is a female Huntsman. Last week, I e-mailed the pics to "Sheri" (another of the Arachomoderators). She checked with someone else on the BB (maybe you?) & got back with me, advising it was a Huntsman. Can I e-mail them to you also? No harm getting a second opinion........
No problem. Better yet, you can post a thread with some pics and get 3rd and 4th opinions and so on. :)

Take care.

Gary

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
nice one! although i havn't seen them mating in real life, still amazing to see male put his abdomen right under female's fangs!
i still feel pretty wierd to see ppl keeping "house spiders" from my region as pets..
maybe that's the same way N.americans see me for keeping widows....