Humidity Question

Nolable

Arachnopeon
Whats the proper level of humidity a hydrometer should read for the cage of an emperor scorpion?

Johnny Savage

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, emps do best with a high humidity say, 80 minimum. Temperatures should also be at least around 85 during the day, but unless your scorp has deep enough substrate to burrow I wouldnt go higher than 95 'cause you might end up with a baked scorp.

Nolable

Arachnopeon
Well I just misted the cage and the ground is damp but still I'm only pushing 75 on the hydrometer. The top of the cage is covered so air flow is limited but still only pushing 75. What can I do to raise the humidity and sustain it for at least a while?

Rosenkreuz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I just misted the cage and the ground is damp but still I'm only pushing 75 on the hydrometer. The top of the cage is covered so air flow is limited but still only pushing 75. What can I do to raise the humidity and sustain it for at least a while?
Pour water onto the substrate. As long as you don't have puddles forming, you'll be fine.

Vietnamese510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
here

here is my cage layout for my emp scorpions
i just took this picture haha

as you cxan ssee i made my own top for the cage out of wood i cut it out my self
and you see the lamp i made a hole wide enuff so they lamp would not fall in and another smaller hole on the right of it so it can have some air

and my humidity levels are always 85-90 all day and night

InfestedGoat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It seems like that could be a fire hazard. My Humidity is always stuck at 70-75%. Its very ventilated on the sides and top of the tank. Should I try this wood idea?

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Eh, I wouldn't have placed the light in the center. I like to provide a heat gradient. I have plenty of ventilation to prevent mold growth in my emps and jacksoni containers and my humidity is always 80%-90%, about 70% for my jacksoni

Vietnamese510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
nah it wont catch on fire no way ive been having it like this for a good 2 months already and the only thing the wood would do is probably bend becuase of the heat but it doesnt bend alot just a little it works nice
and they seem happy to like it that way beacuse its hot all around the cage except the far right

Vietnamese510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It seems like that could be a fire hazard. My Humidity is always stuck at 70-75%. Its very ventilated on the sides and top of the tank. Should I try this wood idea?

hmm try cover up some of the holes maybe it will start boosting up the humidty

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You all dont need to watch a hygrometer. As long as the substrate is moist then you have plenty of humidity

InfestedGoat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You all dont need to watch a hygrometer. As long as the substrate is moist then you have plenty of humidity
True, i do have one of those horrible "all living things" hygrometer, but i still think it should give a semi good reading. None the less, I'll try covering up some of the holes, but with what? Plastic wrap seems like it would melt under my heat lamp. Also, i was thinking about getting one of those exo terra fog things, they look nifty, just the reviews arn't making me want to buy it. But i just need something to get the humidity to at least 80%.

Cyris69

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Get the microwave usable plastic wrap. Heat resistant, no problem giving it a try. I used it and had it about 1/4" from my heat lamp which was sitting on the topper screen at the time.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
But i just need something to get the humidity to at least 80%.
No you dont. I have been keeping scorps for several years now and I have never owned a hygrometer nor do I worry about what % my humidity is. Like I told you before, if your substrate is moist then your humidity is fine. Forget foggers, misters etc etc. Simply restrict the ventilation and use deep/moist (around 6 inches) substrate.
By looking at your tank, it appears you need more substrate. If it were me and I just had to use that tank, I would go to the local hardware store and have them cut out a plexiglass lid with a hole for your lamp and several 1/2 inch holes scattered thru out the top. You will be good to go if you do that.

Kenobi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was having humidity problems as well a while ago, and I was getting really worked up about it because I couldn't get the meter thing to read above 70%
Then the guys on here told me those things are bullcrap most of the time anyway, and I haven't looked back since {D

Seriously dude, as long as ur substrate is moist (and deeper than yours is currently), your scorp will be fine. Try a false bottom setup. Works wonders apparantly (I say apparantly because I have yet to put my false bottom to use: my scorp is only 3i and currently housed in a small plastic shoebox lol)

InfestedGoat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My substrate is a bit low i suppose. Its about 4 inches. But theyve dug burrows and they only go to about 2 inches deep, and they normally stay in the hideout ive already bought and dug for them. My substrate is always very moist, so it should be fine? I would put in more substrate but i have a very short tank, has alot of floor space though. My 2 emps have seemed happy, i'm just worried about when they molt.

InfestedGoat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I went to Lowes and got a custom cut peice of plexiglass that i put on the top of the tank. My Humidity is at 85-100% always now. (Also i got some of those exo terra digital hygrometers and thermometers, they are very nice :) )