bamboo tubes

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Craft stores and Walmart carry bamboo of various thicknesses, you'll need to cut it to length yourself.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Bamboo, huh? Is there any risk of mold with bamboo or is it 'mold proof' like cork?

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bamboo, huh? Is there any risk of mold with bamboo or is it 'mold proof' like cork?
If I'm not mistaken and my memory serves me correctly, bamboo is originally from very moist areas of China(?), so I wouldn't think that mold would be an issue. As a matter of fact, aren't there some Betta set-ups that come with a bamboo shoot that you put directly into the water? :?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If I'm not mistaken and my memory serves me correctly, bamboo is originally from very moist areas of China(?), so I wouldn't think that mold would be an issue. As a matter of fact, aren't there some Betta set-ups that come with a bamboo shoot that you put directly into the water? :?
Yeah but that's live bamboo so it's definitely not going to mold. It must be water resistant after being cut cuz i've seen it used for cups, canteens, bongs (back in college)... I'm going to try a bamboo cutting for my next pokey setup and see how it takes. Props to Tony for the idea, i don't know why i didn't think of it myself. Here i am runnin around looking for cork tubes and rigging up other weird ideas... My friend Eric around the corner has bamboo growing in his yard!

Last edited:

cabal

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I like the idea of it and my have to go hunting for some and give it a try. GREAT IDEA TONY AAAAAAAAAAA+++++++++++++++++++++

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have used bamboo in my arboreal setups but it kept molding so I had to redo all the tanks and now I exclusively use cork bark.

Here is an example. Notice the gray mold which ended up getting a lot worse.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
My local garden supply centre sells very long lengths of babmboo, of different diametres. Michaels also does. You would have to cut it yourself of course. I have a bamboo tube in with my P. ornata, it hasn't moulded at all.

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My local garden supply centre sells very long lengths of babmboo, of different diametres. Michaels also does. You would have to cut it yourself of course. I have a bamboo tube in with my P. ornata, it hasn't moulded at all.
That’s strange mine molded almost instantly in all of the tanks. It also had a bad smell that bothered me. Could very well be because I had raw bamboo that hadn’t been treated.

I really liked the look of it. It just didn’t work for me.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Actually now that I think about it, I think the piece I have has some kind of varnish on it. I bought it at a pet store, I think it was meant to be a hide for hamsters or something.

Staley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tony

I would ill advise using Bamboo as well. Corkbark is much more durable then bamboo.
If you would like some Cork tubes I might know someone who can hook you up ;) just PM me. :p

why did you want bamboo anyway? What made you want that? The color?

tony77tony77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would ill advise using Bamboo as well. Corkbark is much more durable then bamboo.
If you would like some Cork tubes I might know someone who can hook you up ;) just PM me. :p

why did you want bamboo anyway? What made you want that? The color?
it dont mold as ez and i like how they look.

BurrowDweller

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have used bamboo in lots of my T setups. It is untreated, just the way it came from the wild. We had it growing everywhere at the place I use to work at and we would cut down tons of it just to keep it in check. Never had any problem with it molding, rotting, or otherwise breaking down. The stuff we had in the compost heap at work never broke down either. My pokies love their bamboo hides.