Chaco handling ~ Round 1 winner = Chaco

AGTrauger

Arachnopeon
Yesterday I decided that today I'd try and handle my newest Chaco (unsexed approx 2.5") which I got Oct 30. I just tested the spider by lightly touching its rump with a soft paintbrush and 1 of its back legs quickly stretched out and over its abdomen (I'm not sure if it actually kicked or just threatened). I tried this 2 more times with the same result so I guess it's in a bad mood or whatever. As info last night was feeding night for my babies so I figured it'd be full and maybe in a good mood. Does it just not like the feel of the brush? Or still not used to its new home (although the very 1st morning after receiving it the substrate had been moved around ALOT). There's not enough space in the keeper for me to put my whole hand in so any ideas why it'd kick or is there a better way to initiate contact? The only time I've handled any of my T's was when this Chaco crawled out of its shipping cup into its new home and my hand just happened to be the bridge between the 2 so I figured this Chaco wld be the best to try out as my 1st ever handle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

vvx

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some spiders just don't handle well. Usually they're better about it if you get them out of their home first (for example moving it into a cup and then handling it in a neutral area.)

chandlermonster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wait a couple days and try again. Could be that your T had a bad day. But yeah, it could also be that he just doesn't like being handled. Or maybe he doesn't like you!

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My guess is, it's just a little bit stressed. When I switched mine over to a new tank she hid herself in her burrow. In fact, she's still in there....Once I get her on my hand though, she's a perfect little lady. :D

fishwithoutabik

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
lol. glad im not the only one. my chaco sling and i have had very few encounters and the second he sees me, his butt goes up in the air pointed at me. "don't make me hair you!!!"

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My chaco was a terrible hair kicker, couldn't feed/water him with out getting a cloud of evil bristles.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My Chaco : Grammostola aureostriata is as food responsive as my Acanthosurria geniculata. Everything that enters its enclosure is food . I wouldn't dream of putting my hand in there...

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
If you really want to handle it, simply place one hand down flat on the sub. Gently push it with your other hand or brush towards your other hand. This way it will walk right into your hand. Of course, she might flick alittle hair at you but that's all it is. ;)

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm not big into handling, but when I've handled mine, I have just coaxed it up over the side of the enclosure with a paintbrush and onto my waiting hand.

DMTWI

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I also have a new (to me anyway) chaco about the size of your 2.5'' litttle guy/gal. For whatever reason mine is very receptive to handling, I just coax the little bugger up the side of the container with my finger and out he/she comes on to my hand. No hair flicking, no attack mode, just kind of moves around like it's no big deal. Just give it some time and don't stress yourself or the T over the handling thing. Like others have said, some T's just don't want to be handled. :confused: I actually had a girlfriend once who was the same way.... ;P

tin man

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm geussing it's just stressed out, all of my tarantula were demons with fangs when I first got them, but now there a lot more mellow, just wait for it to settle in.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wait for it to settle in and accept the fact that some tarantulas cannot be handled in the meantime.

Some see everything as food or threat, some are far too skittish to stay in one place for long and some just will never move no matter how much you prod them...

...and those are just examples from various Grammostola rosea specimens from people here on the boards.

Oddly enough, my best handling T is my immature male Psalmopoeus cambridgei.

Every specimen is different.

Le Wasp

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My new chaco is about as docile as I've seen a tarantula. He acts so sedated, I'm thinking of naming him Stoner. He doesn't have much of a strong predatory response to things in his cage... In fact, he keeps trying to keep roaches as roommates in his log.